Monday, September 8, 2014

Book Review: How to Raise the Perfect Dog by Cesar Milan

Title: How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
Author: Cesar Millan
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy

In addition to the Monks of New Skete, I turned to Cesar Millan, aka "The Dog Whisperer" to help us get ready for the arrival of Miles. Although I know Millan is like a household name for dog owners, and his methods can be controversial, I had no previous exposure to his work. While much of the material was similar in the two books, I think I preferred The Art of Raising a Puppy. However, How to Raise the Perfect Dog is a great story for someone who wants to read an opinionated, informed memoir about raising four puppies written by someone with a lot of experience. For the purposes of the story, Millan takes on four new puppies of different breeds and backgrounds (schnauzer, pit bull, lab, and bulldog), and writes about how to raise a puppy. The book is more memoir and less instruction manual. But it's a good introduction for a first-time dog owner (except that I'm doing everything wrong and our house is totally set up wrong for a new puppy because it's so open). It has also made me want to start watching his tv show for practical pointers. It sounds like Supernanny for dogs, and I need all the help I can get.

No comments: