Sunday, March 3, 2013

Book Reviews: The Whitney Finalists I already read

For the last four years, I've read the finalists for the Whitney Awards. Two of those years, I read all 35 finalists. One year, my first in my MFA program, I only read a few categories. And this year, I expected to read all 35 books again, only to discover that there are now 40 finalists. I also had some other reading responsibilities, and I have five kids who keep me hopping, and we're adding baby number six in two weeks, but I'm still thinking optimistically, hoping that I might finish all of them.

I started out ahead of the game because I had already read a handful of the books. Here are links to their reviews:

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Twitterpated by Melanie Jacobson

The Hollow City by Dan Wells

I wish I'd read more and felt more ahead of the game, but that wasn't meant to be. When you read the reviews, think of me typing them with a toddler on my lap, and reading furiously on the plane all the way to China.

No comments: