Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pocket Full of Kryptonite

I think we've already established the fact that Rose is a superbaby. The progress she's made in the last two months is so impressive, it won't be long before she's off and running, leaping tall buildings in a single bound. And just look at that face. It's adorable, right?

Now look closer. First of all, you might notice that she no longer has her evil nasal stent, Rose's most recent nemesis. When we took it out last Wednesday, bits and pieces of everything she had eaten or drunk since the surgery came rushing out with it. It was both incredibly disgusting and a little bit thrilling.

Anyway, you might think that with the nasal stents gone and Rose's pretty little face healing beautifully, all would be peaceful here in our fair city. But just like Achilles had his heel, Superman had Kryptonite, and Metroman had copper, Rose's weakness is soft, white, and made by Kimberly-Clark. That's right-- our girl crumples at the sight of Kleenex. Or rather, she bucks, fights, squirms and completely loses it as soon as she sees me heading toward the innocuous-looking blue box on our kitchen counter.

I don't need a cape- my runny nose is my best accessory
Unfortunately, with a partially open palate, Rose really needs Kleenex. Everything she eats and drinks escapes through her nose. She's been very partial to the Kellogg's cereal bars lately, you know the ones filled with strawberry jam? Consequently, her nose always looks like it's bleeding. With every bottle, rivulets of milk escape from her left nostril. I hear "Does she have a cold?" almost every time I take her in public. But she also has stitches just below her nose, so it's a hard balance for a kleenex-wielding supervillain-- do I try to keep the nose clean, which results in a grumpy baby? Or do I let it drip and run, allowing Rose to get a second meal out of whatever escapes from her nostrils? Or do I leave it alone at home but wipe scrupulously in public? This third option is what I usually resort to, but she wails so loud when I do try to wipe that I have to weigh whether the grocery store grannies are more likely to cluck over a dirty nose or a kid who is absolutely beside herself when the tissue comes into view.

I just know this-- I don't wanna be a supervillain. I'm not cut out for it. I'd much rather be a sidekick, because Rosie and I make a great pair.

7 comments:

FoxyJ said...

She is so sweet!

Unsolicited advice alert:
There's a product called "Boogie Wipes", which are soft wipes that are moistened with saline solution that you can use on kids with runny crusty noses. I got a sample once and thought they were nice, although I don't buy them on a regular basis. They're smaller and softer than baby wipes--it might be worth trying those to see if they reduce the trauma.

FoxyJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie P said...

I was just going to tell you about Boogie Wipes - FoxyJ beat me to it. They're amazing. We buy the 2 pack at Costco.

Carina said...

I came to 3rd Boogie Wipes. LOVE them. Hate the grape scent, stick to the green scent.

Sarah said...

She's simple adorable - runny nose or not!!

Blue said...

Yesterday she had a good glob growing out of her nose, so I decided to go for it. I went in the bathroom, warmed the water to a nice temperature, and then just used my hand and warm water to wash her face. She definitely wasn't a fan, twisting/turning to escape, but she got over it quickly enough when I was finished, and then we read books till she fell asleep in my arms. (awww!!!!!) ♥ She's supergirl in my book!

Swimmingmom said...

She is such a cutie!!!!!!!!!! Just want to squeeze her!!!!