Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It's Official!

First of all, the big news, Han Hui Jue is officially Rose Huijue Miner. We returned to Civil Affairs today for the signing, where baby-related chaos ensued with seven adoptive families all there at the same time. There were seven kids, fourteen parents, six siblings and a grandparent, plus the orphanage directors and nannies and government officials. It was a party. I have a few pictures, but it has been a really long day, so forgive me for being too lazy to transfer and post them.

Our really long day started around midnight when Rose woke up, stuffy and crying. She was stuffy and wheezy when we got her, but she seemed okay last night. I fed her part of a bottle and she fell asleep, then woke up ravenous at 5. She took a bottle, then had a bowl of rice, then demanded another bottle. Then she ate some congee at breakfast. She fell asleep on the way to civil affairs and slept the whole way through her adoption.

When she woke up, she was miserable. Grabbing at her ears, crying, shaking her head no. It was pretty obvious that our girl had an ear infection. We got some drugs into her system, and she fell asleep again, and slept right through our trip to Purple Mountain, which is like a national park honoring Sun Yat Sen, a revolutionary leader. We didn't get any pictures there, but the trip was Annie's worst nightmare. She's been very nervous ever since I mentioned that people might try to touch her hair. Purple Mountain is a popular tourist destination for Chinese people, and I think we were more interesting than any tomb or mausoleum. "Corn Lady"
(so named because she was eating an ear of corn) followed us for at least fifteen minutes, sometimes giving me less than six inches of personal space. When we stopped so the more intrepid people in the group could hike all the way to the top, a group of old ladies with ice cream plopped down right next to us and stated until we finally left. Dozens of people took out picture. Now I know what the elephants in the zoo feel like.

Anyway, Rose is still miserable, but she's sleeping. She's refusing to eat or drink anything and it's pretty heartbreaking. I hope the antibiotics kick in and she starts to feel better. I'm gearing up for a rough night. Poor baby.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Blue said...

Considering how she must have been feeling, it's so nice that you had such a peaceful start on Monday. We'll keep praying for health, and hitch-free travel. Hang in there! ♥

Nicole said...

Beautiful!!!!!!I loved reading how she looked in your eyes :) This beautiful baby girl was loved!
I hope your sweet baby girl feels better soon.
Safe travels!!!!!
Nicole

Andrea R said...

Mazel tov! So happy for you!

Sheree said...

It is so fun to hear about Rose! I feel for Annie, in our Mexican travels when I was a kid, I'd have people touching me head all the time. Being so visible is kinda draining, but a good experience too, since it gives you an idea of how people feel when they come here.