Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: Chasing China by Kay Bratt

Title: Chasing China: A Daughter's Quest for Truth
Author: Kay Bratt
Enjoyment Rating: 6/10
Referral: I read Kay Bratt's Silent Tears and heard about this book from her Facebook page
Source: Kindle for iPad
Books I've read this year: 6

I've read a lot of romance novels for the Whitney Awards over the last few years, and even though Chasing China takes place in (wait for it) China and the protagonists aren't LDS, the book reminds me so much of an LDS romance novel. It's clean and innocent, and although the romance is prominent there are other plot elements that make the story interesting enough to keep reading.  Mia is a college student from the Pacific Northwest, adopted from China in the early 90s as a preschooler. She returns to Suzhou, where her orphanage was located, in order to find some answers about her past. But no one wants to answer her questions, and officials from the orphanage seem intent on blocking her ability to find those answers. Along the way, she meets up with another handsome Asian college student, Jax, who provides the romance and drives the escape moped.

While I was very interested in Mia's story, which was very heartfelt, the writing was overly dramatic at times, too didactic in some places, and shifted points of view inconsistently. I do think that stories like Mia's should be written, and I think that Bratt has the ideas and the knowledge she needs to write them, but I also think that she could benefit from working with an editor who can guide her on some of the details that get readers like me hung up.

No comments: