Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review: A Parent's Guide to Cleft Lip and Palate by Moller, Starr, and Johnson

Title: A Parent's Guide to Cleft Lip and Palate
Authors: Karlind T. Moller, Clark, D. Starr and Sylvia A. Johnson
Enjoyment Rating: 8/10 (I'd actually call this a "usefulness rating" in this case)
Referral: Amazon search
Source: Ordered used from Amazon
Number of books I've read this year: 127

A Parent's Guide to Cleft Lip and Palate is a useful introduction for people like me who are just beginning to grasp what it means to have a child with a cleft lip and palate. The book covers the various issues associated with the condition, including lip surgery, palate surgery, ear problems, dental issues, speech therapy and social impacts. While I read the whole book, I think that the first part was most useful to me. Right now, I'm not thinking about speech therapy or middle school, I just want to get Rose's lip and palate closed and have her eating well. While the book feels dated (it was published in 1990) it seems that surgeries and the team approach that are used today are very similar to what the authors describe in the book. I found the stories that spotlight kids' experiences were the most interesting and helpful part of the book.

No comments: