Monday, March 7, 2011

Not a book review, an announcement...

I was being cryptic on Facebook yesterday, which led to lots of questions. First of all, I am not pregnant, nor do I ever plan to be pregnant again. Second, I am not signing up to torture myself by running three marathons this year. There's no new job, no great vacation, no move. But if you've noticed my book reviews lately, you've probably noticed a pattern: I've been doing a lot of reading about adoption. Why?

We've started the process to adopt a baby from Ethiopia. Shocked? Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am. I promise not to leave you hanging with all the juicy details-- I'll explain more over the next few weeks. Over the years, this blog has been a lot of things-- a Mommy blog, a running blog, an absent-minded grad student's favorite distraction, a place to read about books. And as of today it will morph yet again. Over the next year (or longer, we're not sure how long it will take) I'll be blogging about our adoption process. I thought about starting a separate blog, but I'm already so frazzled and fractured (is that a good frame of mind to be in to start the process of international adoption? I'd guess not) that I decided to use the existing format I have here. If you just want to read my book reviews, then skip this adoption stuff. If you want to read about running, then I'm sorry, I stopped blogging about running a couple of years ago.

So there it is-- our big secret. Only it's not such a secret any more. For those who speak international adoption, we filed an initial application with WACAP last month, and I mailed off a 2" thick stack of papers to a homestudy agency here in Utah last week.

Wish us luck! If you're a veteran and have any advice on the process, I'd love to hear it. I'll try to write in the next few days about how we came to this decision.

14 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Awesome! I'll stick around no matter what you write about.

Valarie said...

oh, wow! that's quite a leap. Like Char, I'll stick around- in part to see what awe inspiring thing you do next. You never cease to amaze me with all you undertake.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you. Promise me the first shot at baby photos- k?

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Wow -- congratulations! Look forward to reading about your adoption journey.

Patience said...

That's great news! Maybe you'll be able to get a new little member of your family by the end of the year...that'd make for a very busy year for your mom! My sister is in the middle of the adoption process too. It'll be interesting to see how the process is different between an international adoption vs a local approach. Happy days and congratulations!

Jen said...

That is really very exciting, Shelah! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

dalene said...

So cool! Best wishes to you!

Sarah said...

What an announcement! I'm excited to hear more.

Blue said...

I can't wait to catch up. Lunch next week?

PS: my Word Verification for this comment is "Cutie". Coincidence? I think not! ♥

Emily M. said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations--I'm really happy for you.

Ang said...

What a wonderful announcement! Congrats, Shelah.

amy said...

A friend referred me to your blog. We have started the same process so it will be fun to follow along with you as we're doing the same thing. Good luck to you!

EmLouisa said...

I am so excited for you! Can't wait to read your experiences.

Marsha said...

Awesome news, Shelah. I am excited to read about your journey.