Monday, April 19, 2010

Blogging, reading and priorities

It's been a while since I've blogged about reading, and honestly, I've had a hard time getting back into the reading groove since I finished the Whitney judging. It's been a busy month with the kids and with getting ready to start school again next week. Earlier in the year, I had high hopes that I might finally surpass the 100 book mark this year, and it seemed like with all of the Whitney books, success in that realm would be inevitable. But my guess is that I'll probably end up reading about as many books as I've read in previous years, because when I'm busy with a writing project (and I've had a few up my sleeve the last month) my discretionary time gets siphoned into writing instead of into reading. I have a hard time managing both at the same time.

That's the thing about free time, there's never as much of it as I would like. And while my kids are old enough now that they don't require me to carry them around or get down on the floor with them to make sure they're not choking on stray goldfish crackers, they do tend to cut into my ability to sustain concentration. And I have to have priorities too. Family, church and school come first. Then probably running. And reading is down on the list, somewhere near making sure the basement is clean. So I haven't read much today (I've carried a book around a lot) and my basement playroom is also a disaster. Tv-watching is so low down the list that I'm still not caught up on everything I recorded during the Whitney frenzy (there's only so much laundry to fold) and blogging is way, way down the list, somewhere near weeding. Maybe, once I get some laundry folded and get caught up on Brothers and Sisters, I'll have time for weeding later this afternoon. Goodness knows it's not going to happen after school starts next week.

3 comments:

Cissy said...

I can't find an email, so I'll just stick a comment in here somewhere.

I found your blog via Segullah (and recognize your name from that same place). I just want to say that you made my evening. I read through a bunch of your book reviews and found myself both inwardly snickering at the simply honest opinions, and cheering you on in the daunting task of reading all those Whitney books. As an obsessive lover of good--really good--books, I have no patience for the general mediocrity of Mormon lit. Not that I could necessarily write any better, but I wish there were stricter reins on what is published. I wish I were in the test groups. Anyhow, despite my admitted snobbishness, I am always on the lookout for the rare great read in this genre; I'm just not brave enough to slog through all the stuff you're enduring to find those reads.

All this to say, I like your stuff. If you lived in my neighborhood, I'd invite you over even if my dishes weren't done.

Blue said...

weeding is for kids. and with all the rain this week softening the soil, it's the perfect time to set them loose with the dandelion digger-upper! pay per weed and you've not only made a good investment, but you've occupied the kiddos for a few minutes of reading time. i need to learn to read faster. don't know how you do it all girl...i'm just going to have to rename you MW&AW ♥

(marvelous work and a wonder)

Lei said...

Wish the day could be longer. And that I had a few more of "me" to go around! Hope school is going well!