Thursday, February 25, 2010

Book #26: Tribunal (Whitney Book 7)

Title: Tribunal
Author: Sandra Grey

If I hadn't been compelled by this Whitney thing to read Tribunal, I can state unequivocally that I never would have read the book. The cover is just too creepy and weird, like a bad Olan Mills engagement photo from the 1970s. Ew. It's also a sequel (to last year's Traitor), and I tend not to like to read books in a series out of order.

Tribunal is the story of Rolf and Hans, best friends and former Nazi soldiers after the end of WWII. Rolf's in bad shape after getting out of a concentration camp (where he was sent for being a traitor to the Nazis), and his friend keeps him company while he recovers, and falls in love with Natalie, Rolf's nurse. Natalie manages to get Rolf's fiancee back to his side, and from there the story gets too complicated to recount. As a story, it's interesting and fast-paced, and seems well-researched. The love stories and the LDS conversion stories are fairly predictable, but not annoyingly so. It was a little bit hard to jump into the story in the second book, and even toward the end of the novel, I still felt like I was missing bits and pieces that would have been helpful to the story. Overall, I liked the book, but I doubt I'd go back and read Traitor, which means I didn't love it.

No comments: