Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Book #71: NurtureShock


Title: NurtureShock: New Thinking about Children
Authors: Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman

Is it awful to say that I really don't remember a lot of the specifics that Bronson and Merryman talk about in NurtureShock? It's an interesting book, well-written and well-researched, but for some reason it just wasn't all that memorable for me. Maybe I'm just trying to block out of my mind that I've spent the last decade giving my kids the wrong kind of praise, which may be turning them into underachievers?  Or maybe because I've been suckered into believing that my "gifted" third grader really is smart, and not just an early maturer when she took the test in kindergarten? Or maybe, possibly, because sometimes my kids stay up as late as I do? Bronson and Merryman tackle ten commonly-held ideas in modern parenting, and challenge them, chapter by chapter. It's a good book, and would probably spark interesting conversations in a book club.

No comments: