Thursday, November 5, 2009

Best SLC Thrift Stores?

I've driven past lots of garage sales, but never feel tempted to park my car in the tangle of traffic out front and rifle through someone's cast off stuff. I figure that there's a relatively small chance I'll find something amazing for a steal, and a relatively large chance that I'll feel guilty meeting the hopeful eyes of the sellers. So I stay away.

Once when I was in college, I ventured into the Provo DI to hunt for clothes for an 80s dance. The place was huge, overwhelming, I couldn't tell which pieces of clothing were junky castoffs and which ones were diamonds in the rough. My roommates bought rocking outfits, I came home empty-handed and raided my closet instead.

So I've had a decades-long, irrational fear of thrift shops. I just feel unequal to the task of sifting, of mentally figuring out what goes with what.

But that may be changing. A few weeks ago, I went to Name Droppers for the first time and left with two awesome jackets. It helped that I was sans kids and had the company of some good friends who know their clothes. But it wasn't creepy or dirty or overwhelming or any of the things I had feared.

Now that I'm holiday shopping/home decorating/trying to finish my dining room plate project, I've decided that maybe, just maybe I can brave some of SLC's thrift shops. Apparently I live in a great thrift shopping area, but I need your help. Where should I go to get my feet wet? I need places that don't require too much sifting through the chaff, and preferably stuff that leans toward furniture/design/decorating.

Help, please!

9 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I haven't tried any in SLC, but am leaving a comment in hopes that I might get some good ideas from others. I mostly shop in Utah County and there's pretty much DI, which isn't always that great. I think even more than other stores you need to go without kids and be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for things. I get most of my clothes at thrift stores, but it takes a lot of time to find the good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Decades : awesome vintage clothes. Higher priced than DI but perfect for old formals, etc. Hate to say it, but the owner doesn't love having kids in his shop. State Street about 5th south?
Salvation Army: 5600 W. about 3500 South Sometimes they get Target items (new, last season)
Savers: 7200 S. State Savers is alright. You have to hunt though.
Thrift town: I think 33rd south and about 13th east This one is pretty good.

All the DI's are ok, you almost have to get there right when they put stuff out though.

I would look up the exact addresses before you go. I try to go without kids. And take your time. And rethink how you can remake things.

Blue said...

with the added detail you've written here, i realize m comment on FBisn't very useful. the anonymous comment above mine hasthe info you're probably looking for. good luck!

Durham said...

I don't live in SLC, but I remember seeing this post earlier this week and thought it might help you.
http://uberchicforcheap.blogspot.com/2009/11/shop-local-vintage-finds.html

Nicole said...

I love thrift shops! But in my younger days I felt they were a bit unsavory. However, I seem to have gotten over that, and now I go every week. Just to see if they've got anything new.

I once found a lovely crochet bedspread, made out of granny squares.

So good luck going thrift shopping, and don't feel intimidated. It can be really fun!

Vanessa said...

There's also quite a few consignment places in SLC that I've liked.

Consignment Circuit
3300 South 1585 East

And there's another one in Sandy and dangit if I can't remember what it's called. It's off Highland, about 80th south or so.

Madeline said...

I write uberchicforcheap, so you know the ones I posted about for clothes but their are loads of others. Here's the truth about the matter, the word thrift implies sifting. The environments aren't always so inviting and you will be digging for a diamond in the rough. There are other stores that are a bit pricier that do the sifting for you.

I would go to Your Heart Out and look through their posts on vintage (or click here). There are a ton of stores with loads of good stuff, and these girls have found them and written about them. Hope that helps!

uberchicforcheap.blogspot.com

ConsignmentAddict said...

When I was furninshing my condo in SLC three years ago, I lived for consignment. I can't guarantee all these places are still around, but look them up and browse through if you're interested. And now that I just moved to Utah County and now have a 1-yr-old I'm wondering how to indulge my bargain hunting ways without completely going insane.

Home Again in Sugarhouse on 2100 S.

Abode on 900 E and about 1700 S.

A couple others just south of the Mermorial Clinic on 900 E & 2000 S. have more in the way of vintage knick-knacks, shoes, clothes, jewelry, and toys.

The ____ Chic on 900 E. and 3300 S. is fun and worth taking some time in.

Finally, go down highland drive and about 3300 s. to 3900 s. and look for shops along there. One is called something exotic is very eclectic and somewhat bizarre. Linda's new and gently used furniture is alright. You just have to deal with sales people.

Anonymous said...

There is a cool thrift store at the Layton landfill! Also helps adults with disabilities have meaningful employment!!