Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Early-morning running

This morning the alarm went off. I stumbled to the bathroom, pulled on my running clothes, and dashed out the door into the darkness. When I got to my friend's house to meet my running buddies, they weren't there, but my friend's son was up ridiculously early, practicing the violin. So I started off on the run by myself. I waved at some teenage girls at the bus stop (early band practice at Skyline?) dodged an unusual amount of traffic on 3300 South, and once I made it back to my neighborhood, noticed that it was getting light out. It gets light late here. Very late. Around the time my kids head out the door to school. But it was cloudy, so I figured that the cloud cover might just make it appear lighter than it really was. I asked a walker for the time and she said she had no idea. But I started seeing sun, and realized I was in trouble. I dashed home, and made it in the door, exactly an hour after I usually get home. The good news is that the kids still got out the door on time, and I got an extra hour of sleep, but I think I'll be double-checking the time when I set my alarm clock tonight.

2 comments:

Blue said...

momma told me there'd be days like this. ♥

Shelly said...

I'm glad you got to sleep in and hour (and your kids)....I screwed up the other way once last year...went to the gym, showered, came home, hauled Carsten out of bed, dressed and fed him, then got in the car, drove to the neighbors and knocked on the neighbors door for carpool pickup...it was only 6:30am....In my defense it was December and it's totally dark when I usually drive the kids to school at 7:30am so the lack of light didn't cue me. We went home and made pancakes....