Friday, October 30, 2009

Book #68: The Actor and the Housewife

Title: The Actor and the Housewife
Author: Shannon Hale

I stayed up late, late, late last night finishing The Actor and the Housewife. On the "keeps me reading late into the night factor" I guess I should give it a good rating. And barring that, Annie's looking over my shoulder, and her third-grade teacher is Hale's aunt, and Annie will be sure to tattle on me if I don't have nice things to say.

Honestly, though, it was a cute book. Becky Jack is a frumpy, thirty-something Mormon housewife and mom of almost-four when she meets Hollywood superhunk Felix Callahan (I kept picturing Colin Firth in Brad Pitt's body) and they immediately fall into an intense best-friendship. Over the next decade, they explore the age-old question "Can men and women ever just be friends?" In Mormon circles, Hale's characters frown on the friendship, and she often second-guesses her need to have a close emotional relationship with a man who is not her (amazing, ridiculously wonderful) husband.

This novel, like Hale's other books, has an audience wider than just Deseret Book readers, and I guess that's what makes me uncomfortable about parts of it. If there's something that embarrasses you about Mormon culture (dorky bishops giving bad advice, our oft-misguided culinary choices, kissing over the temple altar for the first time), Hale goes there. Jack is outspoken and abhors swear words and t-shirts with slogans. She's quick-witted enough to banter with the most flippant of Hollywood stars, but is overwhelmed by her wardrobe and the state of her kitchen counters.

I know I complained about the sappy-happy ending of Austenland, but I'm tired this morning after staying up all night to finish The Actor and the Housewife. To tell you the truth, I didn't get the ending I expected, probably based on what happened in Austenland. But the right thing happens, and the right thing is probably the only thing that would have satisfied Becky Jack. If you are a Mormon housewife, you'll probably enjoy the book as escapist fiction. If you're not, don't judge me based on Becky Jack. I've never made three pies a week to give away. No, I'm more of a brownie girl myself...

5 comments:

FoxyJ said...

We just read this for my book group and the discussion was pretty interesting. I liked it more than I thought, mostly because I really didn't like Austenland at all. I was one of the few in book group who truly enjoyed it though. I think that's because I've read a lot of other 'chick lit' type books and realized that this is supposed to be a little outlandish and the characters are a little ridiculous. I thought it was a lot of fun to read, and even if the story is a bit uneven Hale is a good enough writer to keep you hooked and enjoying the story.

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I think I'm the only one that thought this book was dreadful. Really dreadful.

joolee said...

I agree with Gerbera Daisy Mom - this book was terrible and bored me to tears...I was disappointed because I'm generally a Hale fan. Love her Goose Girl series, Austenland, and Princess Academy. Maybe it was the portrayal of the general stereotypical "Mormon mom" that bugged me. And really, is anyone that flippant and witty in the presence of their favorite movie star?? Not that I have one... :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Joolee and Gerbera. I also normally enjoy Hale, but thought this book sucked. I had to stop reading it because life is too short. The dialogue was too witty. It felt forced. As an aside I am not a Mormon but am religion-curious, so the religious aspect of it did not affect my decision.

Vanessa said...

Your comments are spot-on. It was a fun to book to read, but probably not something I'll read again.