Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Book #64: The Shadow of the Wind

Title: The Shadow of the Wind
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon

A few weeks ago over at Segullah, I wrote about how I was completely spellbound by The Shadow of the Wind, to the point where I was ignoring my kids and my laundry and reading all the time. The Shadow of the Wind is the story of Daniel Sempere, a young man who runs a bookshop with his father and discovers one of the few remaining copies of a novel called The Shadow of the Wind written by the mysterious Julian Carax. As Sempere grows, he becomes obsessed by unraveling the story of Carax's troubled life, and he stirs up ghosts that many people want to stay buried. There's also a love story on the side (it ties in eventually), great writing, and a haunting portrait of Barcelona in the post-war years.

I loved The Shadow of the Wind. It was dark and twisty like the first few seasons of Grey's Anatomy. It was quick-paced and mysterious. It kept me reading, even as the laundry piled up and the kids begged for dinner.

No comments: