Friday, September 4, 2009

Hello autumn, my old friend...

...You've come to visit me again.

Looking outside you may think it's wishful thinking. I'm aware that it's supposed to be 90 this afternoon. But this morning I looked at the 10-day forecast, and there's not a 90 in sight after today. You know what that means? My first fall in four years is right around the corner!

Honestly, it was a great summer. Other than one day when I decided to run seven miles at three in the afternoon, running never felt oppressive. The kids played outside more in the last two months than they did in the four years we were in Texas. Isaac and Annie both learned to ride bikes and Bryce perfected many a trick on his scooter. We've been opening our windows in the morning and the evenings (no screens yet, so we've endured some flies, but it's been worth it).

And if the weather forecast is right, it's September and fall is on its way, just like it should be. I can't wait for changing leaves (we have a big maple in our front yard), and cool nights around the fireplace in our backyard, and pumpkins that don't rot before Halloween, and sweaters! I only have one or two sweaters. Mostly I'm excited NOT to wear shorts on Thanksgiving.

I've missed you fall.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Soooo jealous. I would love a good season....We're on our 70-something day of over 100!!! Inhale some crisp cool air for me!

Queen of the Castle said...

It's been remarkably cool here too, usually it lingers a little into September, but not this year! Fall seemed really short to me last year. Hopefully I'll get to enjoy the foliage this year!

Anonymous said...

Fall makes up for a tough Thursday any day!! I am so glad you're back in the land of seasons and can't wait for October!
Love, Annie

Malisa said...

Fall is my favorite season of all. If the snow holds of, it can go on for a long time here and the colors are gorgeous. (And then, eventually, there is the bitter, bitter cold of winter. Sigh.)