Sunday, June 28, 2009

Book #37: Austenland

Title: Austenland
Author: Shannon Hale

After reading and loving some of Shannon Hale's other books, I was glad I read some of the reviews of Austenland before I found it on the bargain table at Barnes and Noble. Otherwise, I may have been disappointed. As far as books go, it's pretty light, not as substantial as, say, The Goose Girl (ironically her books written for kids seem more meaty than this book written for adults), and somewhat predictable. Most of the time, when I hear that a book I love is being made into a movie, I cringe and fear that it's going to be ruined by its cinematic transformation. Other times, like in the cases of The Devil Wears Prada and Bridget Jones's Diary, the book seems almost better suited to being a movie than a novel from the get go. Austenland is another book that sort of disappoints as a book, but I think it would be ideally suited to a 100-minute romantic comedy. I'd even pay $8 (again) to see it in the theater. Besides, nothing gets my blood pumping like some Regency dresses and men in tights. So my vote is for a movie version of Austenland.

1 comment:

FoxyJ said...

I felt the exact same way about the book; I think you're right--it would make a much better movie. Her YA stuff is much better in my opinion.