Monday, April 13, 2009

Book #21: The Girl Who Played with Fire

Title: The Girl Who Played with Fire
Author: Stieg Larsson

Only about a week after I finished The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo, my copy of The Girl Who Played with Fire arrived from England, where it's already in paperback (thanks for making us wait over on this side of the pond, publishing world!). The second book in the series kept my attention as well as the first. Once again, Larsson has a great story with fantastic characters and a fast-pace pitch. Whereas last time I devoured the whole book and wanted more immediately, I started to notice some flaws while reading The Girl Who Played With Fire. First of all, Larsson spends a lot of time, maybe way too much time, talking about IKEA furniture (her apartment was furnished with a Malm wardrobe and Billy bookcases, for example), Billy's Pan Pizza, the culinary offerings at Swedish 7-11s, different kinds of coffees, Mac Powerbooks, and other name-brand details which became distracting. Secondly, and I'm not sure this would be a problem for a Swedish audience, the names of the characters are so similar that I felt like I needed a glossary to keep people straight. For example, two of the villans are Niemann and Niedermann, and three other charactesr are Blomkvist, Berger and Bjurman. Sorting out who's who slowed me down a little bit, but not enough that I was sad I took on the challenge. The next book (The Girl Who Stepped into the Hornet's Nest, if my French translation is right) isn't even out in England yet, so I'll have plenty of time for my excitement to build up before the third installment comes out.

2 comments:

emlouisa said...

just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Dang that was a good book!! I couldn't put it down! Glad to hear that you liked the second. I'll have to pick it up. (After I clean up my house that is...it was severly neglected while I read the first book.

I'm laughing at the product placement...did they think we wouldn't notice? How annoying!!!!

Blue said...

If you still have this book, can I borrow it. Finished Dragon tattoo last night and want something to pass the time at Boondocks tomorrow. I know I could dive right in and be absorbed for 3 hours :-) either that or Magdalene would suffice, I'm sure.