Monday, April 13, 2009

Book #19: The Year My Son and I Were Born

Title: The Year My Son and I Were Born: A Story of Down Syndrome, Motherhood and Self Discovery
Author: Kathryn Lynard Soper

A couple of days ago, a friend came over to my house and asked if she could borrow a few books. I took her through my unpacked and accessible stash and handed her this as a possibility. "Oh, this one is really good," I said. "Is it just good because she's a friend of yours?" she asked. "No, it's legitimately good," I assured her. She took it home with her.

I'm interested to hear what my friend has to say, but I really do think that Kathy Soper's memoir is legitimately good, excellent even, and not just because she's a friend, a mentor, and the Editor-in-Chief at Segullah. I devoured The Year My Son and I Were Born, finishing it in less than 24 hours, and although I don't have a child with Down Syndrome, there were so many parts of the book that resonated with me. Kathy writes with such honesty about being an overachiever and wanting her children to follow in her footsteps, and that's something I can totally identify with. I want my children to reflect well on me, sometimes to their detriment. Kathy's memoir inspired me to try to love my children for who they are and help them become their best selves, even if their best self isn't reflective of the self I want them to become.

1 comment:

Blue said...

i guess i never did come back here to tell you what i thought of it.

you were right. i read it straight through in one sitting and felt inspired and moved in all the same ways you described. she's brilliant! ♥