Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Breaking the silence....

It's been a while since I last blogged. My mom and godmother, Annie, arrived two weeks ago. My mom left today. Since I wrote last, we've been busy, and missed posting about many blog-worthy life events. Here are a few of the highlights...

  • Eddie and I went away for a weekend in the Texas Hill Country. We slept here, ate here, and hiked here. I blogged about it here. Bliss.
  • While I was gone, Bryce, aka Bernie Madoff the Webkinz bandit, struck again. The consequence? A week's vacation from Webkinz world, a a new Webkinz for his sister purchased with his money. He had $50 in his piggy bank. I wonder how much of that was pilfered...
  • Speaking of Webkinz, our house grew by nine over the last two weeks. Bryce bought one for Annie, I got one for each of the kids for Valentine's Day, and Annie got four at her birthday party from various friends. If we cashed in on all of the Webkinz, I think we might have enough money for a down payment on our new house.
  • Speaking of a new house, I think I've fallen in love with one house in Salt Lake. The good news is that it's been on the market for a while. The bad news is that a lot of the houses I've liked have sold recently and now I'm terrified that it will be gone by the time we get there.
  • Annie had a birthday. She really, really wanted to get her ears pierced. When I was her age, I managed to convince my parents that I was the only kid in my class who didn't have her ears pierced (I totally wasn't) but I realized last time I was at her school that she really was practically the only kid in her class who didn't have her ears pierced. We tried to mentally prepare her ahead of time (this is the girl who throws total screaming fits when it's time to get a flu shot each fall) and the lady at Claire's was unfailingly patient with her. She said it hurt. But so far, so good.
  • We had fourteen little girls at our house for Annie's party. Last year I thought three friends was too many. What was I thinking this year?
  • I went to a Stake Women's Conference where I spent two hours biting my tongue so hard I thought I'd need surgery by the time I got home.
  • We ate at The Chocolate Bar three times. Twice in one day. I love it when someone gets chocolate the way I get chocolate.
  • For the first time since the year we were engaged and Eddie bought me carnations and I told him they were tacky, he took me out to dinner on Valentine's Day. We ate here. It was not tacky. Not at all....
  • I hurt my knee. I ran 18 miles the Saturday before my mom and Annie arrived and could hardly walk by the time I got home. So I took a week off, hoping it would be better. It wasn't. It felt great during our run last Saturday, but then hurt again on Sunday. Finally, I seem to be on the mend. I did four miles on the elliptical yesterday and it was fine after. Today I ran eight, and so far, so good.... I'm going to the doctor tomorrow just to make sure. If it continues to be bad, I might have to delay Boston for a year. Not fun.
  • On the bright side, I've been spending a lot of time swimming. I even have a tan. Not bad for February, right?
  • My mom and I ran a half marathon together last Saturday. With my knee in not the best shape, I decided not to push it too hard and just have fun with my mom. We finished in 2:23, which was a PR for her. She was also first in her age group. Go Mom!!!
  • I had built-in babysitters, dishwasher emptiers and laundry folders for two whole weeks. I'll definitely miss that. But I'll miss the people more.
Back to blogging, as usual. Which lately probably means infrequently.

6 comments:

Doreen said...

Are you in my stake? Was it that conference Jan. 30th or 31st or something? Maybe I'm glad I missed it??? Oy.

WTG on the half marathon, especially your mom. How awesome. It wasn't the beach one, was it? One of my friends ran that one, too.

Shelah said...

Doreen-- I think we're in the same stake. I was looking for you-- too bad you weren't there-- you could have learned how to stand up and sit down like a lady and how to stand and look ten pounds thinner.

Yep-- it was the beach race. I love that one-- I did it last year too.

Doreen said...

You are kidding me!!! Oh me oh my. I couldn't come 'cause the dh was out of town at a conference, and with 4 kids, one of them a nursing more-or-less toddler... Well, it just wasn't happening. Now I want to know more about it, lol. In our ward, they were talking about the lady like she was all the rage (before the conference). Outrage, maybe? :p

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Ack! You blog in too many places! I only check fmh once a month or so because it makes me itch and I've never gotten into Segullah.

Did they really fill two hours with that? Crazy.

Anonymous said...

crazy busy is right. WOW! And 14 kids for a bday party, you must be a saint LOL.

Leslie Jordan said...

Shelah - I'm so happy to see you've returned to your blog once more. I enjoy it so. :-)