Friday, January 30, 2009

Raising the next Bernie Madoff?

All of the kids in my household are into Webkinz in a major way. They rush to get their homework done and their piano practicing logged, so they can kick me off the computer and manage every minute detail of their Webkinz' lives. Annie loves playing games where she can earn Kinz Cash, which she's been saving for a rainy day. Bryce, on the other hand, keeps just enough cash on hand for food, and blows the rest of it on toys and clothes for his Webkinz.

Last night at dinner, Bryce turned to Annie and said, "Thanks for the present in Webkinz World, Annie." She looked at him, quizzically and said, "I didn't give you anything." "Oh, yes you did," he replied, grinning.

A few minutes later, she wandered into the study to find one of Bryce's Webkinz stretched out in front of a big, new flat-screen tv, the tv that she apparently gifted him. And by gifted I mean that she told Bryce her password, and he logged into her account and sent himself a gift, spending $1,600 of her money. So now Annie's broke, with a tv she doesn't want (he had to return the gift), and a new password.

13 comments:

Blue said...

oooh. that was low. is there a way to get the $ back in that world?

bunch was also obsessed for a year with webkinz...someone gave her one for her 11th birthday and she'd spend hours doing jobs and saving just like annie. it's tapered off recently, which i'm glad about. but if her brother had pulled something like that, all chaos would have broken out around here.

Courtney said...

this sounds vaguely like my birthday a couple of years ago.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

ROFL!!

Don't tell, but I freaking love the Webkinz games. Cash Cow and Smoothie Moves are my 2 favorites.

smart mama said...

lol- #1 keeps trying to ge tme to join him in webkinz world- telling me i can use his accoutn all i want- so do you have underwater rooms??

Alissa said...

should i be grateful that we aren't yet webkinz people?

or should i go ahead and buy one for abbie for her 7th bday in 2wks?

Anonymous said...

Shelah,
I laughed out loud. Made my day. Of course, Bryce got a flat-screen tv for his Webkinz! One of Beth's friends sent her one last fall when she first moved to Dallas -- Kiley keeps wanting to show her how to be a part of Webkinz world. Beanie Babies were much simpler! Can't wait to see you. love, Annie

My Diary said...

Poor Annie, well at least she has a flat screen now. Brothers can sure be stinkers huh.

Company EIGHT said...

LOL! Fortunately we only have one Webkinz kid around here, so that hasn't been an issue...yet. Oh, and I'm with Char--I love a couple of the games too--Cash Cow 2 and Word Challenge!

smartmama--yes, join him!

Sarah said...

Sounds familiar....Yesterday, Samantha reported that Jackson only had $150 - "He always spends too much. You should talk to him about it. I like to always have at least $1000." I wonder how long it will take him to figure out Bryce's trick.

Sarah said...

Sounds like he has the same taste as his dad.

Jennifer B. said...

That story got to me! I have a 1K gold coin I would love to send to your daughter. If she's interested, my username is JBmom27.

Becky said...

Ha Ha! A brilliant "criminal mind" has a hard time not "bragging" about his exploits! Poor Annie! Have Bryce do some public service to pay his debts!

Lei said...

LOL Courtney! Mine, too!!! What is Eddie teaching him Shelah?!