Saturday, January 3, 2009

Book #83: When You Are Engulfed in Flames

Title: When You Are Engulfed in Flames
Author: David Sedaris

I sort of doubt that most Mormons will really "get" David Sedaris. I'll admit that sometimes I don't get him (but I like him a lot). Most good Mormons will probably put down his books after it becomes evident (by the second or third page) that both the language and the subject matter might have you teetering close to the edge. Even though I know it's bad for me, I like living on the edge (bwahahaha), at least as far as my books go.

When You Are Engulfed in Flames is 2/3 traditional Sedaris-- hilarious essays drawn from Sedaris's life (which is so much more interesting and weird than mine is-- so unfair!) and 1/3 chronicle of his attempt to quit smoking. As usual, the stories are funny (even more so if you imagine his voice reading them in your head as you plod through) and the characters seem impossibly bold and bizarre (in a good way, I guess). Eddie and I both read When You Are Engulfed in Flames and I immediately wanted to take out some of his other stuff, and Eddie said he needed to take a break from Sedaris for a while.

If you want a glimpse of what you might find in the book, check out Sedaris reading a short passage on David Letterman a few years ago. Thanks, Stadium Pal!

1 comment:

Alissa said...

we love david sedaris.