Monday, December 8, 2008

Book #75: The Simple Home: The Luxury of Enough

Title: The Simple Home: The Luxury of Enough
Author: Sarah Nettleton

Sure, the homes in The Simple Home don't have a lot of junk in them. They're probably smaller than their owners could afford. But they're still, by any stretch of the imagination, fancy houses for rich people-- just rich people who don't like a lot of tchotchkes. I did love one of the renovations, a California house in which the architects added half a house to the back of an existing modest ranch house to make it super-fabulous. There's also a long window-seat idea that I want to steal for the guest room/office in our next house, if I can figure out a way for it to work. Books like this make me want to have lots of built-ins in my next house. But I don't think that if I had a house like the ones profiled in this book, beautiful as they are, that I'd call it a simple house. Beautiful, yes? Simple-- compared with what?

No comments: