Sunday, November 9, 2008

Relying on my community

I'm reading House Thinking by Winifred Gallagher right now, and one of the book's most interesting sections discusses the way Americans of different social classes view moving and home improvements. College-educated Americans, who often left home to go away to college, seem to be more open to the idea of settling far from their families of origin, while those without college educations seem more likely to live near extended families. So when it comes time for most college-educated people to improve their homes, they can't call on brothers and sisters and cousins to come pitch in and help them raise their barns, they have to call on professionals.

We live very far from our families right now, but I was able to draw on a friend in my virtual neighborhood, Courtney, to help me redesign my blog. I've been staring at an ugly header for months, stressing over the milk/sweat dripping from my fellow runner's nipple, from comments that I was flaunting my body in an unseemly way and from the overall junky, unstreamlined look of the blog. Courtney took my pictures, cropped them and created something beautiful-- something that should give visitors to my blog a good idea what it's about-- a mom who loves to run. So thank you very, very much Courtney!

1. a pretty blog header
2. the primary sacrament meeting is done!
3. Sunday afternoon naps

8 comments:

lyn said...

Courtney did an awesome job! I love the new header (and look - a picture of Eddie made it front and center!)

Courtney said...

I'm glad you like it!

Gabriela said...

It looks great!

Alissa said...

i for one did not notice your fellow runner's sweaty nipple, nor did i think you were flaunting that hot body of yours... some people... sheesh.

i loved your old header.

having said that, your new header is fan-freaking-tastic! great job courtney.

beckylou said...

It looks great! The only thing I noticed about your fellow runner was that she was *very excited* to be running that day, iykwim! ;) And heck, if I had your body I wouldn't be ashamed of having it in my header either!

Anonymous said...

Great blog update!! I love it. And I'm glad CMM stayed in the mix. We're proud fans!

Love, Annie

Blue said...

that was so nice of Courtney to help you out! The new digs look great, and more pictures=more fun for us! Three Cheers to you both! ♥

Anonymous said...

Well the new look is awesome. And I for one thought you were just proud of a great accomplishment! And I think it is true what you said from the book you are reading. I'd never thought of it that way.