Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A House Divided (aka, dude, where's my shirt?, aka Happy Birthday to Me!)

Watching election numbers streaming in, balloons dropping and presidential-elects speaking isn't as much fun when the person you're watching them with is curled up in the fetal position. Eddie knows this well-- after all, he lived with me during the aftermath of the Bush-Gore elections, where I stewed and steamed for months, and the Bush-Kerry elections, which was quicker, but also more painful because I already knew what I had to endure four more years of. But when the tables were turned last night, I couldn't resist doing a little bit of gloating, and he did his requisite bit of grumbling too.

But I think he did something even more insidious. I think he stole my shirt.

I wore my new Obama Mama shirt on Saturday. I had plans to do some more shameless gloating by wearing it to my ward's cooking club this morning (sometimes I'm mean that way). I searched through all of my drawers, rifled through dirty laundry and went on a hunt through kids' closets and under beds. It's gone. When I asked Eddie about it last night, he laughed, and denied any involvement. But did he laugh because he thought it was funny that I lost it, or did he laugh because he was responsible for its disappearance? I can't tell. Unfortunately, he's made himself unavailable for comment today (he's taking cardiology boards). I hope that once his test is over, his mood will improve and he'll decide to return the shirt as a peace offering. Otherwise I'm buying a new one.

I suppose I could call the new shirt a birthday present. My birthday is January 20th, also known as Inauguration Day. Ever since my 18th birthday, the day Clinton was elected for the first time, I've been disappointed on those birthdays that coincided with the presidential inauguration (I was in Democratic denial during the Clinton years). This time, I might even throw a party. But can it be a bipartisan party, or should I make Eddie stay away? If he doesn't return my shirt, he might not make the guest list.
1. finally figuring out how to bake bread!
2. girls night out
3. historic elections

11 comments:

lyn said...

HAHAHA you already know my thoughts :)

Do we start party planning now?

Queen of the Castle said...

Come to inauguration, we could have a lot of fun, and you would have a place to stay!

Anonymous said...

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie -- Cough up the shirt, Bud. You're surrounded. Isaac couldn't have worn more blue yesterday if he tried! It WILL be a happier birthday than the past few post-election birthdays have been!
Love, Annie

Amber said...

Eddie! Give the shirt back!

Can I come to the party?

WOO!!!

smart mama said...

WTG eddie I would have do likewise

beckylou said...

Maybe your washer and dryer lean waaaay to the right. ;)

bluestocking mama said...

lol, i love it

Gabriela said...

Congrats to you- you're about the only Mormon blog I've read today that isn't a total downer. :)

I think it's exciting if nothing else- a very historic day.

(and please post on how you finally made bread-I have yet to accomplish that.)

Shelah said...

Gabriela--

It's pretty easy. I melt 1/2 stick of butter. Then put 1 c. whole milk and 1/3 c. water in microwave for 90 seconds. Then add 3 T honey and the butter and whisk.

In my kitchen aid, I combine 3 1/2 c. bread flour, 1 pack of yeast and 1 t salt. Then I pour in the liquid and let my mixer go on low speed for 10 minutes, adding more flour if necessary.

Then, I let it rise until double, then stretch it into a 9" square and roll it up, then put it in a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Oh yeah, and the directions say to put another loaf pan, half filled with boiling water, in the oven along with the baking bread. It's so good!

Julie said...

That's funny!

I'm glad you will have a good birthday this year!

Anonymous said...

LOL, now I'm gonna have to stay tuned to see if he did steal it! I bet you'll have a rockin' party :)