Monday, November 24, 2008

Books on my to-read list

This one's for you, Melissa. Here's a bunch of the books on my ever-growing list of things I want to read:

Hot, Flat and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution and How it can Renew America by Thomas Friedman
The Likeness by Tana French
Hurry Down Sunshine by Michael Greenberg
An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken
Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
Domino: The Book of Decorating: A room-by-room guide to creating a home that makes you happy
Shadow the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Ballistics: Poems by Billy Collins
Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure by Rachel Fershleiser
Collections of Nothing by William Davies King
Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin by Kenny Shopsin
State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America by Matt Weiland and Sean Wilsey
and everything I haven't read yet by David Sedaris
Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin

now I just need a month with nothing to do so I can actually dig in and do some reading.
1. The library
2. amazon.com
3. a husband who doesn't mind turning my light off

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it so many of the books that are critically acclaimed are written by men?

I notice this because I kind of have a prejudice against male authors writing female characters. I don't think they (usually) do as good of a job as a woman would. So I tend to set aside books written by men, unless they are highly recommended. I find myself skipping over at least 3/4's of all the lists of books that are critically acclaimed.

Anonymous said...

Just finished Hurry Down Sunshine, Shelah. Not to be missed. Amazing writing & imagery, compelling subject matter, etc., etc. Best of luck scheduling that 30-day read-a-thon we all long for; we can dream, right? -Kellie

Melissa said...

Thanks Shelah!!