Thursday, October 23, 2008

What I should have said...

This morning I was out running and came up behind a bunch of girls in my ward who have started walking together in the mornings. I've noticed them in the neighborhood before, and I think it's a fantastic thing to do, especially here in Texas where it's possible to walk all winter. When we lived in Minnesota my walking group was both my exercise and my main social outlet and there were many days when I'm quite sure I would have gone crazy without it. I think I did go crazy on lots of those winter days when I couldn't get out with three feet of snow on the ground.

So when I approached them from behind this morning, one of them asked, "How much do you usually run?" With the five women, the four strollers, the six kids, the dog (was there a dog?), the cars on the road, and the lack of oxygen to my brain, I was overwhelmed and said something really stupid.

"Somewhere between three and twenty miles."

The girl responded by saying, "Well, you must think our little effort is pretty pitiful."

As I swept on by, I tried to assure her that I thought their effort was great, but I felt feeling like I had just put my foot in my mouth.

Technically, yeah, 3-20 miles is what I run on any given day.
Other true answers include:
"Today I'm running six and a half."
"My average distance is probably around eight or nine miles."
"It depends on how much I have time for."

What I should have said, if I'd been thinking clearly, was that for a long time, walking with my stroller for a couple of miles was my best effort. And it was enough. It's taken me years. Years, I tell you, to work up to an eight or nine mile average day (which really means 6-7 miles most days and a longer run once a week). And I never would have gotten here if I hadn't started there.

So walk on, my friends!

1. Central Market
2. Date nights
3. Sweater weather

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone has to start somewhere right? I'm planning on doing the turkey trot 10K. Are you doing it?

Doreen said...

I thought of you when I went for my walk/jog this morning. It was like 5 minutes walk, 30 seconds jog, lol. Don't know that I'm ambitious enough for marathon training, but I do like to get out of the house for 30 minutes in the mornings. Makes the day go so much better. :o)

Doreen said...

Oh, and fwiw, that girl could have given a better reply, too. Like, way to go. :p

Lucy said...

I don't think you put your foot in your mouth. But I understand the feeling.

To everything there is a season....right? Way to go on your running.

lyn said...

You are just fine. It is all of our insecurities that crop up. Even I get intimidated by you sometimes (pretty silly, huh?) But, in the same breath I feel like one of your biggest fans.

My grandpa used to say "there will always be someone who can do it than you... and you will always do it better than someone else" I think his message was, don't get your dander up! Words we can all use.

I really appreciate how supportive you are of other peoples efforts. I don't think I've ever heard you say a negative thing about something another person is trying.

Anonymous said...

I echo Lyn. You don't even know me, since I stumbled on your blog while googling other women runners. And that was ambitious on my part as I wasn't even running then but just looking for inspiration.
And you've done just that: answered a stranger's questions and cheered her on mile by mile.
Thanks Shelah!
And yes, I think that other woman could have retorted with something positive.

Anonymous said...

I have to say if I was in her spot and you came up behind, I wouldn't think that you were putting me down. I would probably consider you a freak of nature! Think back to the days when you were just walking. Those people who could run 20 miles were just in a class of their own. A class that walkers (or other non athletic people) don't even bother to compare themselves to. It's like comparing a job as a elementary school teacher to a CEO of a fortune 500 company. They just aren't in the same category.

Sarah said...

I think it's a compliment to you that you would spend time thinking about your reply and how you would reply differently next time. You're seeking to better yourself - and that's what makes you a great runner and an even greater person!

Anonymous said...

I think you are an inspiration for that very reason; you started out walking and now can run the distance. It helps keep me going as I strive to run farther and faster.

I'm with Amy, are you doing the turkey trot?

scraphappymama said...

Mmm, that last one was me!!

Shelah said...

Eddie has to work on Thanksgiving, so I haven't signed up for it. I might end up doing it if my BIL/SIL want to watch my kids.

Sarah said...

Those after thoughts always haunt us. but don't feel bad- you didn't say a single negative thing.