Sunday, July 13, 2008

Book #46: Sticky, Chewy, Messy Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth


Title: Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
Author: Jill O'Connor

I try not to include the cookbooks I read in the 50-book challenge, but this book deserves it. It's a book chock-full of decadent desserts, and I spent days poring over it while I was at my mom's house in Minnesota.

Lots of people think they have a sweet tooth, then go on to say that their favorite dessert is something like Strawberry Pie (which has way too much healthy stuff in it to qualify as a decadent dessert) or cheesecake (which in its vanilla form is way too blah for serious dessert lovers). This morning in Gospel Doctrine, the teacher talked about how she had a craving for the Klondike bars in her freezer, but decided she was too lazy to make the effort to go downstairs to get one. Believe me, if there's something that contains both ice cream and chocolate in my household, only extreme willpower will keep me from it. I'm the girl who always adds a cup of chocolate chips to a brownie mix and isn't happy when there's no hot fudge in the freezer. I've never met a dessert that was too rich. Unlike most cookbook authors, Jill O'Connor gets it. She's a kindred spirit, with my mom and little sister, who knows that you can never, ever have enough chocolate. We made a recipe from her book (for blondies, but they had a boatload of chocolate in them) and it was so good. I'm hungry for more.

1 comment:

Blue said...

Make this:

6 oz. semi sweet chips
1 stick of butter
2 cups powdered sugar
12 oz. can evaporated milk

mix up and then bring to boil for 8 minutes. remove from heat, cool and consume.

most people would put it on ice cream, but don't let that stop you from just getting out the spoon and stuffing your gaping maw. it's seriously that good.