Sunday, July 13, 2008

Book #43: Ghostwalk


Title: Ghostwalk
Author: Rebecca Stott

Lydia Brooke doesn't realize what she's gotten herself into when she agrees to ghostwrite the biography of Isaac Newton which her former lover's mother left unfinished after she was mysteriously murdered.

I picked up Ghostwalk in the airport, looking for something to keep myself occupied on my travels. I must have been looking quickly, because I read the sentence that said "A carefully researched vision of Cambridge circa 1665." When I sat down, I expected the book to be about Massachusetts, not England (duh-- the novel is about Isaac Newton). Anyway, this is a ghost story for those who profess not to believe in ghost stories. The characters, alive, newly-dead and long dead, all become alive. I love the perspective Brooke writes from-- one who, although still alive, knows that the ghosts will pursue her until she can no longer tell her story.

No comments: