Friday, June 6, 2008

Tagged!

Thanks to MomsHomeRun for tagging me to do this running meme!

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago
?

Ten years ago I didn't run. Eddie and I were just about to leave Provo, and we took nightly walks around the BYU campus. That's one of the things I miss the most about our pre-kids existence. But if we were still walking together each night, I doubt I would have become a runner. Although I ran a little bit in college and a little bit both before and after I had Bryce, I didn't start running regularly until after Annie was born.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?

Worst: Definitely the marathon/mono combination. Just all around not so smart.

Best: Probably a toss-up between qualifying for Boston at the Country Music Marathon and smoking two really cocky guys about 500 feet from the finish line of a 5K I ran when I was 30 weeks pregnant with Maren.

3. Why do you run?

I need somewhere to channel my competitive energy and motherhood isn't the place for it.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

One of the best is also the worst-- to take time to heal when you're injured. It just about kills me to take time off, but it's bad to run through an injury too.

The FIRST program is also great advice for marathon prep. I know, I've said it so many times they should be paying me by now, but it's true.

Oh, and the girl in me had a hard time allowing myself to ditch my friends at races. Finally someone told me that it was ok to push myself and just run the best I could and catch up with my friends at the finish line. I think that finally freed me from the 10-minute mile mindset.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

I hate tomatoes. Sorry, that's the best I can do. I'm such an open book and blog so many places that I don't think there's much about me that's secret anymore.

Runners I'm tagging:
blue
Bluestockingmama
EmLouisa
Meemer
and my little brother

No comments: