Wednesday, June 4, 2008

16 days, and counting....

Sixteen days until the Wasatch Back. I'm back from my week off of running, and feeling great so far. I did 5 miles on Monday (with a timed 5K in the middle for my next installment of the FIRST training) and 7 miles this morning. So far, so good on the foot thing. I got some new insoles for my Brooks Axioms and they seem to be doing the trick. Apparently I need regular stability shoes instead of "light" stability shoes.

I sent this email into the Wasatch Back organizers last week when I was on my break. It's all about our WB team and the community of runners I've found through the internet, so I figured that my blog was as good a place as any to post it:

Last month, I crossed the finish line of the Country Music Marathon in Nashville, feeling both exhausted and elated. My time, 3:27, was a personal best by 28 minutes, qualifying me for the Boston Marathon. In a daze, I made my way through the finisher’s chute, eager for water, carbohydrates, and my cell phone. I made the obligatory first phone call to my husband, at home in Houston. He was excited for me, in his non-runner sort of way. Then I made the call I was waiting for, to one of my running partners, Julie, who I knew was eagerly waiting by the phone in Boise.

Calling Julie at the finish line was just an extension of what I do after all of my runs; I check in with my running buddies. But I don’t walk down the street to their houses to catch up over a glass of orange juice or even call them on the telephone (the marathon was a rare exception) so we can talk about fartleks and hills and upcoming race strategy. Instead, I flip on the computer, log on to my favorite message board, and find out who’s kicking butt and who is getting her butt kicked, so I can congratulate and cheer on as necessary.

By the time I sat down at the computer a couple of hours after finishing the marathon, Julie had gotten the word out. I logged on to find dozens of pats on the back from my running buddies.

We didn’t start out as running buddies. We were just a bunch of Mormon moms, who turned to a message board as a way to make friends, share information, and relieve the tedium of long days at home with our toddlers. When I joined the board back in 2003, I had just run my first half-marathon, but I was mainly a recreational jogger. I ran with friends for the social aspect, but I wasn’t out to improve times… and I certainly never thought I wanted to run a marathon. Then I hooked up with Sheree, who came back to Utah from Chicago euphoric about her first marathon experience. Melodee, living in Omaha at the time, kept us posted as she ran Air Force and Country Music and balanced her running with several pregnancies. I was in awe of these women. I wanted to be like them, not only as runners, but as moms and as women.

Over the years, we became more than just casual acquaintances over the internet—we became friends. The lifelong kind. Emily’s husband coined a name for us—the MOFia. It stands for something cheesy (“my online friends”), but I prefer to think of it as the kindler, gentler version of the mafia, because while we’re all good Mormon moms at heart, I’d be willing to take out someone’s kneecaps for any of the girls on my team.

Last summer, the girls from the message board all got together in Midway, Utah for our first ever Girls Weekend Out. Although we had been virtual running buddies for at least four years, I had never actually gone on a run with any of the MOFIA Mommas. So on Saturday morning, we got up bright and early and went for a run. It felt so natural, my pace falling in synch with Deanna and Catherine and Melodee and Rebecca, that I knew it wouldn’t be the last time we’d run together.

A few months later, Melodee came up with the idea of having us run as a team for the Wasatch Back. We had a pretty good core group of runners, but between pregnancies and injuries and other commitments, not enough to field a team. So we turned to the other members of our board, and pretty soon Kristin and Julie and Cara, who had never considered themselves runners, were getting fitted for shoes and relying on each other for support as they did the Couch to 5K program. Jenn H, now our team’s trainer, experienced the disappointment of being sidelined by an injury. Marinda and Sarah and Jenn O and Malinda all learned to dig in deep and run harder and faster than they ever had before. Deanna, who had a baby in February, was happy when her daughter arrived two weeks early, because that meant she’d have more time for training.

We were originally just a bunch of moms, who used our shared beliefs to find friendship on the internet. Now we’ve seen the strength that is within us, and we’ll be using that inner strength as we run from Logan to Park City. We might not be the best runners in the world, but I already know from five years of experience that we’re great cheerleaders. We won’t falter because there are 130 other members of the message board who are counting on us. Not to mention our husbands and children. The kids are the reason we, as women, found each other, and they’re really the reason why we get out and run each day. As our team vans say—“If you had 57 kids, you’d run too.”

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear a report of WB and cheer all of you on!! And maybe this fall I'll get off my butt and start running ;)

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

i love that! good luck to all of you!

Courtney said...

Love the post and can't wait to hear how the race goes.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Shelah. You've really set the goals and "run the race" literally. I'm glad we were there to cheer you on at CMM! That will always be a special day -- the day you qualified for Boston!

Love, Annie

beckylou said...

I am so excited for all of you. Two of my sil's ran it last year and said it was amazing. Good luck!

sheri said...

That sounds like such a blast! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Lee said...

I am so excited for you guys. And I wish I was running it with you. Next time I am totally in.

Anonymous said...

Since no one else has ever mentioned the obvious without sounding rude: your header is larger than life and seems to send off a very self-centered vibe (I run fast and yeah! look at my marathon body!). Plus the other runner in front of you, nippin' out, isn't a very pleasant sight either. Don't you think?

Trust me. We've all noticed, but no one's had the guts to say anything.

Me included.

Terry Mastny said...

Don't let the nay sayers get you down --- especially when they don't have the guts to use their own name. When I read this post it uplifted me. I felt the kinship and support that women with similar interests and a desire to be just a little bit better get when they cheer one another on (sometimes one baby step at a time). Life has its ups and downs --- it's set backs and it's victories. You go girl --- I love the JOY in that picture that is the header on you blog. It speaks volume for what hard work and a love of life can bring to each of us. I love the candid way you share your experiences and reach out to others. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Blue said...

woah anonymous. easy there.

the header used to be smaller...it's probably a glitch but even if it wasn't, who cares?

and shelah looks amazing, true...and she's worked *hard* to have such a fit, strong body.

i have no idea what "nippin' out" is, but it sounds like someone needs a bowl of Cheerio's this morning, Don't you think?

I agree with the others Shelah, this was a lovely post. ♥

Shelah said...

I've been trying to fix the header. It was smaller, but I had a friend work on photoshopping the nipping-out girl, and after she did it, I haven't had a chance to figure out how to resize the picture. I know, it's enormous! I promise, I'm working on it. I just don't have any skilz when it comes to picture cropping, or html or anything like that. Believe me, it's on my list.

Shelah said...

better? I'm trying. Hopefully I'll get a better picture with the next race.

Company EIGHT said...

LOVED this post! I wish I was running with you all--I'm so excited for every one of you! You are all going to blow everyone away!!!

Anonymous said...

Shelah, I love the new larger header; you've earned that bod mile by painful mile. Show it off girl--modestly ofcourse ;-)
I'll be cheering for you.

Anonymous said...

I admire your Christlike response, Shelah to a rather mean, uncalled for remark. Keep going. You're an inspiration to many. I really enjoy reading your blog.
Claire (from the Netherlands)

Nicole Orriƫns said...

Hi Shelah,

I've been tagged by a fellow mom and runner, and now I'm tagging you! Hope you don't mind.

It's a kind of friendly runners chain mail. Normally I hate those things, but this is a great way to meet other mom runners out there!

I really like your blog and picture.

greetings from the Netherlands!
Nicole

bluestocking mama said...

i loved this post! i want to run with you guys so badly at the WB. darn that brother of mine, getting married that day.

and i love your blog header too--i like the way you're turning to look back at your family (i presume) and wave, just as you're moving forward to your goal.

to me, it seems like a moment that captures who you are--a runner, someone who's not afraid to set goals and work hard to achieve them, and a young mother, someone who will always be slightly turned toward or looking for her children.

i'm excited to hear about the WB . . .

Mandy said...

Hi, (new to your blog here) I stumbled across it from Moms Home Run blog. I'll also be doing the WB this year. We did it last year and it was AWESOME! You'll have a lot of fun. Way to go qualifying for Boston. That is impressive!

Happy Running and good luck at Ragnar!

(I like your header)