Saturday, May 24, 2008

Halloween in May


On Sunday, I was doing the solo-parent church thing when Maren had a pooptastrophe, ruining her outfit, the floor of the cultural hall (we're slow when I'm by myself), and my outfit. So I took her home for a quick change, and left the kids with my friend Tamara and her husband. They played with Tamara's folder games and apparently didn't do anything too terrible in my absence.

Then, after church, Tamara called. She said Isaac was playing one of the games, which was about holidays, when he told her that he missed Halloween because he was in the hospital. He actually had his second femur-draining surgery on Halloween. Now that he's getting better, Tamara thought it would be fun to recreate the holiday for him.

So last night, about fifteen families from the ward met at a nearby park. The kids, dressed in everything from batman pjs to tinkerbell costumes, went from trunk to trunk collecting candy. The adults chatted, relaxing as the sun sank in the sky and the day finally cooled off. Isaac got to wear the Diego costume he got for his birthday seven months ago. He was adorable, and so happy (and he's walking really well with his new shoe lift, which is great, too). Several of the moms showed up without their husbands but with four or five kids in tow, juggling new babies and sweet treats. Since I've been in that same situation many times myself, I really appreciated that they came. I always think of charity and service as something not very fun, but I think that we all, adults and kids alike, had fun. And I definitely felt the love for our little family from our ward family.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh --that touches me so much. What a wonderful thing to do for Isaac -- and he looks so handsome in his Diego costume! Who says you can't have Halloween in May!

Anonymous said...

Above from Grannie

Anonymous said...

that is so sweet. What a wonderful thing for your friends to do for Isaac!!

Susan M said...

That is really neat. Now I want a Halloween in May!

sheri said...

That is the coolest thing ever! What a wonderful and sweet way to show their love for your family.

Alissa said...

what a fabulous group of friends... this inspires me to find a way to serve someone...

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

That is pretty much the sweetest thing ever!

Rachelle said...

That is awesome that they would do that for him and you! Totally touching!

Courtney said...

That almost made me cry. What a great idea. When are you going to have his birthday party he missed?

Meemer said...

that is really cool. what neat friend!

Blue said...

it's a story like this that'll bring out the lurkers en force. wow! what a great friend! that's such a wonderful memory for your kids. i love nice people! ♥

Terry Mastny said...

I was with my daughter's family for last October and I remember Isaac's swollen little face as he slept on that great big hospital bed. We brought his brother and sisters to visit him just before Halloween. Seven year old Bryce was very nervous and approached the bed cautiously. As I recall, he got right in Isaac's face and whispered, "Isaac, are ya gonna die?" Immediately little roar errupted from Isaac, "No-o-o-o-o-o," he rasped, "I'm gettin' better!" It's been a long, long road to recovery with more than a few bumps along the way, but I learned that day that you never give up. In fact, 'you never give up' became Isaac's mantra and set an example of courage through adversity for us all. I so appreciate a ward family that was there when the times were hard and once again shows their love for my daughter's family with a springtime 'trick or treat.

Deannna - Younique Presenter said...

that is the coolest thing ever!

Company EIGHT said...

I just think that is so kind, and really quite amazing. I'm so happy for Isaac--and who wouldn't love Halloween in May!

Sara said...

That was so sweet and thoughtful of Tamara. I'm going to miss her! And we had a blast - the weather was so nice (at least it was less hot than I had anticipated).