Friday, May 9, 2008

hair hangups

As part of my "celebrating motherhood by getting the heck away from my kids" day this weekend, I'm getting my hair cut. I always put off getting my hair cut as long as possible, so it's way too long, way too scraggly, and I'm wrestling with the idea of cutting it all off. I go through this whenever I cut my hair, which might be part of the reason why I only do it twice a year or so.

More...There's nothing exactly wrong with my hair. It's thick, slightly wavy, and falls about six inches below my shoulders. Whenever I get it cut, hairdressers tell me that it's great hair. I guess it would be great, on someone who gave a darn about it. I don't. I don't want to dry it, don't want to style it, don't want to deal with it. I just want to be able to pull it up and off my neck (it was 90+ today when I went to pick up my kids from school), and right now my ponytail gets so sweaty while I'm out running that my back looks like it belongs to a teenager. And it stinks. So it's got to go. (As an aside, I have zero interest in doing my girls' hair either-- they're beautiful little ragamuffins and pretty much the only ones to show up at church on Sunday without bows and braids. They'll probably need counseling for it when they grow up).

So do I cut it mostly off or cut it all off? I'm trying to decide if I want the A-line bob, a la Posh Spice or the girl in the Downeast Basics catalog. It would be long enough in front that I could pull it into a ponytail for running, but short enough that the ponytail wouldn't feel like, well, a big sweaty pony's tail. Gross.

The other option? Cutting it all off. The idea is so liberating, but I'm scared. Have I reached the age and stage in life that if I cut it now, I'll have short hair forever? I've noticed that the closer my friends inch towards 40, the shorter their hair, in general, becomes. Conversely, I'm also afraid that it will look ugly and I'll be stuck in that horrible in-between stage for a really long time. I've had short hair a couple of times, and it is such a pain to grow out again. Furthermore, I hate going in to actually get the hair cut (at least the appointment-making and schedule-juggling part)-- and having it short will necessitate monthly cuts. And then there's the fear of looking exactly like my mom, whose ultra-short hair is her signature look.

So I'm guessing that I'll play it safe, lose about six inches, and call it good. But I'll be wishing I had the guts to throw caution to the wind and chop it.

14 comments:

frugalmom said...

A friend of mine just cut her hair last week to the Victoria Beckham cut. It turned out so cute and she cut off enough to donate. Good luck!

Shelah said...

I'd only have enough to donate if I cut the whole darn thing off. Which I just might do. It's way too hot in Texas.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I just got the a-line bob myself. I'm loving it.

krhjohns said...

I think either the a-line or the downeast cut would be really cute...but the a-line could bug you when you are running.

Principal Sal said...

You can donate your hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths if you cut at least 8 inches off!
http://www.beautifullengths.com/en_US/index_home.jsp

Shelah said...

Sal-- I checked out the link, but my hair is chemically highlighted, so I don't think I can do it. That makes me sad!

GAIL NH said...

I might suggest a chin-length bob without any layers. It's a really easy style with committing to go very short. Mine's almost to my shoulders now, but I get it bobbed each summer and have the back cut just slightly shorter than the sides so it's totally off my neck. Not having layers reduces the need for frequent trims and makes it really easy to grow out. Keep the bangs really long so they're easy to pin back off your face.

smart mama said...

go psh- it would look cute on you!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what would be best, but I have the same hair issues as you in terms of getting it cut and only doing it twice a year.

Anonymous said...

I cut mine just now aka Posh/Katie H. It works great for running as it can be tied up in a half ponytail and there's nothing on the neck. I donated my hair through my hairdresser to locks-of-love. No issues with highlights I was told.
Good luck.

Queen of the Castle said...

Shelah, be assured that you are not the only mom that doesn't do her girls hair. Lucy and Abby luckily have hair that looks great if you wash it and let it air dry. I HATE doing hair. I cut my hair really short just after Lucy as born and I LOVED it. Growing it out has been hard, but it is at a good stage now.

Sara said...

The only thing I ever do to Hannah's hair is comb it and stick a bow/clip in it. Easy schmeasy! And I like your new cut. Is it easy to style? I'm so tempted to cut mine all off too (I must be getting older....).

Anonymous said...

Well- what did you do?

Shelah said...

I cut about six inches off. It's almost shoulder length in front, and a couple of inches shorter in back. I like it pretty well so far. It's much lighter for summer!