Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Do you think Elder Ballard feels bad?

If you're LDS and you have little kids, you've probably heard The Apostle Song, which is sweeping through YouTube like wildfire. Annie watches it at least ten times a day and even Isaac knows all of the words. If you're not familiar with the song, it lists the members of the church's First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve apostles, as well as a short identifying line. Some of the descriptions are positive ("Jeffrey R. Holland was a Yale guy" or "Russell M. Nelson operated on folks") and others fairly neutral ("Richard G. Scott is from Idaho" or "Quentin L. Cook is from Cache Valley"). Then there's M. Russell Ballard, who is described as having "sold used cars." Every time I listen to it, the line makes me chuckle. I know there's nothing wrong with being a used car salesman, but you've got to admit, the job sort of has a bad reputation. I resist the urge to picture him wearing a loud sportcoat, trying to make a deal. I even looked up his bio on Wikipedia, to see if selling used cars was the apex of his career. Apparently he was a pretty successful businessman, with several car dealerships, as well as other business holdings. It's not like "sold used cars" even really rhymes with "was a football star" (Elder Wirthlin's tagline)-- couldn't they find something else to highlight about Elder Ballard? I'm just wondering if he has an inferiority complex about being sandwiched between the Supreme Court Justice and the football star?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Yeah I was was thinking the same thing.

smart mama said...

yay elder ballard rocks- cars or not-LOL

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

OK, somehow I'd not yet heard that song. HILARIOUS!

lyn said...

We hadn't seen it either - but we all got a laugh about it...unfortunately I showed it to Thomas!

Blue said...

heh heh heh. now my kids are memorizing the song. good one!

dan said...

Word to the infinitieth.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that looked him up on Wikipedia to see if a) that was really true and b) if they could have found something better....