Monday, May 26, 2008

Book #35: How To Eat Supper


Title: The Splendid Table's How To Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
Author: Lynne Rosetto Kasper and Sally Swift

Y
eah, this is a cookbook, but it's so heavy on the "stories and opinions" that I spent as much time devouring it as if it had been a regular book, so I think it counts.

If you've been around me over the last five years, you probably know that I'm slightly obsessed with Lynne Rosetto Kasper's NPR food show, The Splendid Table. It's what gets me through my long runs on Saturday mornings, and even though my regular dinner fare is much more lowbrow than the recipes in this book, I felt inspired after receiving the book for Mother's Day to step up my cooking a few notches and try to cook a few things from the book each week. So far I love what I've made, and I love what I've been learning as I read. I even tolerate the admonition to use Sharffen Berger in anything calling for chocolate, as well as the word organic on practically every single page of the book.

1 comment:

Terry Mastny said...

Shelah - I can't beleve this is a cookbook I haven't explored yet. I love reading the commentary and history in cookbooks almost as much as trying the recipes. If you like storied cookbooks take a look at the Brass Sisters Heirloom Baking. I think these old ladies would be a hoot on NPR or the Food Network.