Thursday, April 3, 2008

Take it and Run Thursday-- Feeling a little bit thirsty...

Like so many things as a runner, staying hydrated is just one of those things I sort of guess at. I know that I'm supposed to drink after a while, but when and what and how much?

When I was starting out, I'd put a big glass of water next to my treadmill, and jump off for a water break whenever I couldn't stand it anymore. As a beginner, I'd sometimes down a 24oz water bottle during a 2 mile run, and I know it was more so I could catch my breath than because I actually needed the water.

As the years have gone by, I find that the water by the treadmill is a good standby for things like intervals (after every 4x400, I'll allow myself a swig), but drinking gets a little bit more complicated when I move to longer runs and outside runs.

I've tried a little bit of everything-- water bottle in the bushes, amphipod, gatorade, accelerade, nuun, propel-- you name it. I've run races with my amphipod and run others where I stopped at the water stations. I've read just enough about hyponatremia to scare myself, but not enough to actually educate myself. I've also suffered (big time) from leg and bowel cramps at the end of long runs and long races. Obviously, I haven't found the perfect solution.

I know a lot about what I don't like. I don't like the way a fuel belt feels around my waist, or the way it starts to slide around as the bottles get empty. I don't like stopping my runs for a drink. I don't like wondering if a dog peed on my bottle as it sat propped up against the stop sign at the end of my street. I don't like brightly-colored drinks.

I do like Accelerade. At least, I like the Peach Mango and Grapefruit flavors. But they're expensive ($2/bottle at our local Target). About a month ago, I decided to order a huge tub of the stuff from Nashbar, and although the more gourmet flavors were less than they cost in the grocery store, they were still twice as much as the Lemon-Lime. Now I know why-- the Lemon-Lime tastes like watered-down milk with a little bit of citrus thrown in. Blech. Tomorrow morning, I'm planning to experiment with the Lemon-Lime and some lemonade Crystal Light. I'm really hoping that it makes it palatable enough. Otherwise, anyone want a huge tub of Lemon-Lime Accelerade?

It was so much easier when I just grabbed a swig of water whenever I couldn't take it anymore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, it's odd with the water and the drinking and what works. I find Accelerade in general makes me woozy mid-long runs. I just feel heavy with it. And yeah, holy cow is that stuff expensive.

Shelah said...

I'm happy to report that the Accelerade/Crystal Light combo worked. Now if I could just control the mid-run bathroom urges, I'd be in great shape.

Anonymous said...

OH OH I found you again!! I had lost my links and baby I am back!! I have to check out how that baby is doing and.... The books OH I need to check out the books.

I have been thinking a lot about getting back into running. I miss the energy, the high and the great legs that come with it.