Saturday, April 12, 2008

Morbid thoughts on the Isaac saga...

Last year, when my sister Jilly got married, Isaac and Bryce were ring bearers. To be more exact, Bryce was a ring bearer, and Isaac spent the weekend charming all of Jilly's twentysomething friends. He was so proud of his little tuxedo and strutted around like a baby Don Juan. While we were waiting for Jilly and Carl to come out of the temple, Tom, one of the paparazzi, snapped this photo, which has become my favorite picture of my favorite three-year-old boy:

The picture now sits in my study, and yesterday, as I sat at my computer, looking across at this beautiful little boy and thinking about how much he has been through in the last six months (and yes, in two weeks, it will be six full months since he got sick), a totally morbid thought struck me. If we had waited just a day longer to take him to the doctor, if his infection had progressed just a little bit more, or struck him in the lungs instead of the leg, this picture would have undoubtedly been the one at the top of his obituary, the one at his funeral, the one we thought of when we remembered him.

Now that we're almost six months out and he's starting to get better, limping around everywhere like a tiny old man, it's finally hitting me how close we came to losing him. At the time, it was all we could do just to get through the day, put on our game faces for him, and keep things as normal as possible for the other kids, that I don't think either Eddie or I realized the enormity of what was happening. When, after two weeks in the hospital, two surgeries, six weeks of IV antibiotics, and learning to walk again, he landed himself flat on his back with a broken femur, the doctor walked in and said, "In a year or two, he'll be totally back to normal and you won't even be able to tell anything happened." I inwardly thought-- two years? Are you kidding me? My kid is going to kick this thing in two months.

Six months later, two years doesn't seem like to outlandish an estimate. He's starting physical therapy soon, which should help him limp less, but the bone is still majorly disfigured (they assure us it will straighten as it grows, if it grows, that is), he's still on long-term antibiotics, and I still don't go a single day without worrying about what might happen if the delicate swiss-cheese-like structure of his femur can't handle the roughhousing of a regular day of a three-year-old in a house with three siblings. We had to cancel his birthday party when he was in the hospital, and I kept all of the stuff, thinking we'd rent the bounce house again and throw him a big three-and-a-half party when he was all better, but there's no way he's ready for a bounce house yet.

We've been watching the John Adams miniseries on HBO for the last few weeks. John and Abigail, like too many Americans of their day and age, had a stillborn baby and lost a three-year-old daughter, although it isn't mentioned in the film. I guess that ten hours isn't enough time to touch on the death of a child, or else it wasn't considered important enough in the life of so illustrious a man, or else it was just so commonplace that it didn't attract merit, but I found it curious that they left out that detail. For so much of human history, disease and death were part of life. I'm feeling particularly grateful, six months out, that even though disease has been our companion over the last year, we still have Isaac's cheeky smile to light up our house.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Isn't John Adams great, Jake and I are loving it!

I know what you mean about the picture, when we went through a cancer scare with Solomon I had very much the same thoughts and feelings. My hearts breaks for anyone who actually does loose a child, because even that fear is awful!

FoxyJ said...

Now that I have children I find it even harder to comprehend how it used to be somewhat normal to lose a child. When we read the Joseph Smith or Brigham Young manuals I'm always struck by how much focus they put on topics like death and resurrection, especially pertaining to children. These days it's so hard to imagine your children dying before you do.

Kari C in SC said...

My dd broke her ankle in a few places 10 weeks ago. It landed her in the hospital for 4 days ending up with surgery. This is not near as serious as your little guy, I realize. She was just "released" from crutches on Friday. She doesn't seem convinced she needs to learn to walk again. Day by day, I keep telling myself. Around the same time as her accident, we were reading Carry On Mr. Bowditch. In this book, Mr. Bowditch sister dies from falling down the stairs. Each week that we were in the waiting room for the doctor, we would find ourselves chatting about how awful medical care must have been if she died from falling down the stairs. We reasoned it must have been quite a fall. Then I told my dd it could have been something as simple as a broken rib that did more damage - only they couldn't fix that. She remarked that without surgery and screws holding her ankle together, she probably couldn't walk. I am so thankful we live in a day where an amazing doctor could put her ankle back together. I will keep your little guy in my prayers.

Sheree said...

Yeah, I was pretty amazed that you guys were still functioning at the level you did with a little boy in a bodycast and such a scary infection. I am glad for your sakes that you didn't realize the magnitude of it until you were out of the hardest part. I am pretty sure I would be a basketcase if I went through that.

I am glad Isaac is doing better! I hope he continues to heal and stay well.

Courtney said...

It's hard to believe it's been 6 months! You all have been through so much I'm sure for you sometimes it has felt much longer.

Anonymous said...

wow six months!! And he's just as handsome as ever :)

Kermit~the~Frog said...

I'm so glad he recovered, that the timing worked out, for all the blessings Isaac and your family received.

smart mama said...

we love isaac - it is scary to think sometimes how close we can come to losing our kids.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Sweet, funny Isaac is a blessing in all our lives, as are Bryce, Annie and Maren. There were and are many prayers said for Zacky's health and all of you.

Now, as for the toy bins, think small for B-man's birthday? They were playing zoo when you guys were on the cruise. I am always amazed at how well your kids play together. I love it!
Love, Annie

Susan said...

Shelah - It really puts things into perspective when you think about what might have been. HUGS to you! I think you have handled it all so well.