Wednesday, April 30, 2008

ISO...

...a drive-thru window at a convenience store where I can pick up a gallon of skim milk and a loaf of bread without parking the car, carrying two kids through the parking lot, finding a cart with a working seat belt, trekking them to the very back of the grocery store, deciding that yes, I do in fact need the sandals on the sale rack as I pass them by, and then giving in to Isaac's requests for a pack of bubble gum which will inevitably end up ground into the carpet or someone's hair. Even if the milk cost me an extra dollar a gallon, it would still end up being cheaper.

...and while we're constructing drive-thrus, I'd really like one at the library. I reserve all of my books online, and if I could just zip over and pick them up without unloading, getting out the stroller, and spending 20 minutes looking at the board books, I might actually have time to get home and clean my house.

...and since I'm making requests, I really need to get my hair cut. Eddie is on a really unpredictable rotation right now, so I can't make an evening appointment and expect him to be home. So, hairstylists everywhere, you've answered the call for good kids haircuts with those places where kids sit in airplanes (is it kiddie cuts or something?), I would be all over a mom's morning at the salon, where moms could get haircuts or pedicures, and the kids could vegetate in front of Veggie Tales in a corner. I'd pay big bucks for that.

...which brings me to my final request. I'd be guessing that in the big medical complexes there's a spare room hanging around somewhere. Anyone who has ever endured a pelvic exam with a child sitting on their lap knows what torture that can be. I'd love to see a drop-in babysitting service at the medical center. The grocery store by our house in Minnesota had something similar to what I'm envisioning, and although I never used it, it seemed like a brilliant idea. Then I could finally get my eyes examined (I'm about a month into my last pair of disposable contacts), could leave Maren behind when Isaac has physical therapy, and go to my gyn appointments without quite so much assistance.

15 comments:

Courtney said...

Amen to all your requests. I love my drive through pharmacy but I would love it if I could also pick up benadryl or triaminic.

I also love the grocery store kids care as do my kids. If grocery stores can do it would seem like the obgyn could do it!

Anonymous said...

Shelah, Here in the Boston area we can have our groceries delivered at no extra charge past a certain amount. I have not used this option but a neighbor, laid up with a broken leg, has used it, and liked it.
My SIL belongs to a mommy group, through her church, where one or two moms get the morning off per day, on a rotating schedule, for errands and personal stuff (med exams, beauty appointments, etc). She also has a cleaning lady come in twice a week. She does laundry too. Sigh! Nice!
Some options to think of, I guess.
Where in MN did you live? I was in the Minn/St. Paul area for 4 years.

Shelah said...

Sarah-- We were in Rochester from 02-05. They did grocery delivery there too, which was really nice, although I felt a little bit guilty using it.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I would SO pay for all of those things.

Shelah said...

Lyn-- if you're reading this, I totally wrote this post before I came to your house today. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Our Walgreens has drive-thru pharmacy and I've been so tempted to ask, "could you grab me a gallon of milk while I'm here."

sheri said...

YES!!! May the people listen to Shelah! I'd pay good money for all of those services as well.

lyn said...

HAHA! I was feeling a little sheepish as I read this. Good thing I saw your comment :)

THANK YOU!!

Anonymous said...

A mommy group or babysitting co-op is a great idea. Even if you only have one other friend who will agree to do it. She could watch your kids for example every Tuesday morning for 3 hours and you could watch her kids every Thursday morning for 3 hours. The kids would have fun playing and you would always have a time to go get errands done. It would be awesome.

Meemer said...

seriously. who can we talk to for these changes to happen?

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I would also love it! All of it! I vote you just be in charge!

Melissa said...

I so agree!! I have thought the same thing about the grocery store, it would be so helpful!!!

Queen of the Castle said...

I knew a guy with several children that finally decided to start having his milk delivered by a local farmer because every time they would go to the grocery store they would spend about $10 on other stuff. I would love to buy my groceries online and have them delivered. I'd pay extra not to have to drag any kids to a store. I do most of my other shopping on line anyway.

Andrea said...

I hear ya! I often tell my friend that I would pay a teenager to drive around with me for errands and just wait in the car with the kids. That would be so worth it!

I didn't know they had drive-thru pharmacies! I am really missing out. When we lived in the UK we had water and milk delivery (he would also deliver bread, butter,eggs, juice-the basics). There was also a local grocery store that would deliver your online order for $6-7.00-ish. Sometimes it was well worth the money for less hassle!

Lee said...

I would totally dig that. Love all of your ideas. Serioulsy you need to make these happen. Come on Shelah, you can totally do it!