Sunday, April 27, 2008

A few pictures from the Country Music Marathon

My godmother, Annie, and her family live in Nashville, so we flew into town on Friday morning to spend the weekend with them. The plane was filled with runners, which was pretty exciting.

Here's my cheering section (Annie and Maren):


Me (in the blue) around mile 8. I ran with the girl directly in front of me and the girl in the blue hat until I lost them on a hill around mile 16. It was so helpful to have a support group. They were the best. All of the girls I ran with-- Jamie, Amanda, Dessi and Katrina, qualified for Boston, so maybe we'll see each other next spring!


Just after the finish line, with my mom (who walked the 1/2 marathon in a rocking 2:26) and my godsister, Beth, who also ran the half:


One more shot of the cutest baby cheerleader:


Last time the race was so hard that I really thought marathons might not be for me. This time I felt fantastic-- it didn't even start to feel like hard work until after mile 23. I wanted to build myself a good cushion, and when I started to get tired, I realized that even if I walked the rest of the way, I'd still qualify for Boston. I think I'm hooked on marathons-- they're such a rush!

22 comments:

Deannna - Younique Presenter said...

you amaze me girl!! I hope to follow your footsteps!

Anonymous said...

wow!! You rock!! That is so awesome.

Courtney said...

You look great in those pics! I love the one of you waving and of course the one with Maren.

scraphappymama said...

you are amazing. I struggle to even finish a 10k right now, and only dream of doing a half one day - and that is a big dream ;)

WTG!!! and Maren is so cute - the perfect cheerleader for sure!!

AimeeTheSuperMom said...

Awesome job! Way to set a goal and stick to it.

ditndetes said...

You are so amazing! I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

dang! that is so cool!

bluestocking mama said...

great job, shelah!

Amber said...

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Glad to see you meeting your goals and stomping them. Take care.

Krisser said...

Wow~ I'm in awe! Great job, seriously amazing!

Susan M said...

Congrats! I had a coworker who was training for a marathon so I know how much work it is. He ended up spraining his ankle and unable to run it though, poor guy.

You're amazing.

Patience said...

Congratulations Shelah! After all your hard work you deserve a medal!!

Ethan said...

Well done Shelah. Keep it up and we will come and watch you in London in 2012.

Shelah said...

dude, I'm way too old for London! I heard from Dad that you rocked the triathlon!

Anonymous said...

Brava Shelah!
The foodie posts were transparent but informed.
In any case, I remain grateful for the inspiration you are to my getting back into running.
And, you are in the best shape of any mother of 4 I have ever seen!
Ciao bella!

Gabriela said...

Congrats Shelah-that's awesome!

Valarie said...

wow, look at you! you're amazing. I'm equally impressed with your mom. A good friend of mine just *ran* her first half a couple of weeks ago in 2:18. rocking 2:26 is right!

Valarie said...

wow, look at you! you're amazing. I'm equally impressed with your mom. A good friend of mine just *ran* her first half a couple of weeks ago in 2:18. rocking 2:26 is right!

Valarie said...

obviously, I'm doubly impressed. now triply?

Lisa said...

Awesome! I love a good marathon story!! Congrats

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I am so impressed! And inspired! You did so good! WOOT!!!!