Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Emotional lability and exercise

Today I really pushed myself in spinning class. During the cool-down, when I was feeling all sore and endorphin-y, this song came on. Apparently it's one of the most popular songs in America right now, but when it comes to country music, I've got my head in the sand like an ostrich, so this was the first time I heard it. Pretty soon, not only was I tired and happy, but I was also crying, openly, in front of the whole class.

On Saturday, out for my long run, I was listening to Lynne Rosetto Kasper talking about a trip she took to Italy's Emilia-Romagna region. She was there more than a decade ago, doing research for her book, The Splendid Table, and in this episode of her show, she returned to one of the places she had visited while working on the book. She asked the proprietor, an old woman, if she had heard of the book. The old lady brought out a framed copy of the pages referring to her establishment, which had Lynne crying, which had me sobbing, trying hard to catch my breath, as I ran down the sidewalk in the subdivision.

I'm not normally much of a crier. That's not to say that I never cry, but it doesn't happen all that often. I'm more likely to tear up when I'm pregnant, or as I've recently discovered, when I exercise. Now that I've traded techno for podcasts to accompany my long runs, I've found myself getting misty-eyed several times over the last few months.

Which makes me a little bit nervous for the race on Saturday. With all of the emotions surrounding a marathon, the intensity of running 26.2 miles, and the 20-something country music bands along the way, I am sure to be a blubbering mess by the time I reach the finish line. I'd better to remember to wear waterproof mascara and sunglasses.

11 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

You wear makeup when you run marathons?

Good luck on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

good luck on Saturday. And that is a true tear jerker song. I get teary everytime I hear it and I'm not pg or a runner :)

Susan M said...

Glad to know popular country is keeping the cheese alive. (I just worked out. I think exercising must make me cynical.)

Shelah said...

Susan-- yeah, it's total cheese. Under normal circumstances, I would have turned to another song, but since I was a captive to the teacher's playlist (and this is Texas, after all) I had to listen. And then I had to cry.

Shelah said...

Cyl-- I probably won't wear makeup, I was just illustrating a point. I will bring sunglasses, though.

Susan M said...

Just for the record, I actually love cheese. Adore it. Revel in it. Something about this song bugs me though.

lyn said...

Good thing you warned me ... I don't listen to country either, so I had never heard the song. Giving birth 10 days ago to a baby girl doesn't help the tear ducts!

Amber said...

I've been overly emotional lately too. I bawl everytime I listen to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5D9FHFUn_k&NR=1

and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtOy8R01fTA&feature=related

Good luck on your marathon!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your marathon Shelah. I have just started running after two years away. You inspire me.
Just bought new shoes after researching them on the internet. Any advice? Have previously loved Sauconies.

Shelah said...

Sarah-- Congrats on getting back into running! I'd recommend getting fitted at a running store once you wear out your new shoes (400-600 miles down the road). I used to get fitted, buy a pair at the store, and then buy another pair or two online from the same model once I knew what worked for me (usually cheaper that way). Right now I have two pairs (one Brooks and one Asics) and I alternate weeks running in them. I read in several hard-core magazines that that's a good thing to do for distance runners. There's a locally-owned running store right down the street from my house and I decided when it opened a few months ago that I was going to buy my shoes there so I could do my part to keep it in business. Besides, they have a buy 6, get the 7th free policy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shelah. I did get fitted at the running store just now. Will follow through as you suggest. Good to hear of your rec.s of the Asics as they came highly recommended by the "shoe guy".