Monday, April 28, 2008

Career Day

Annie came home from school today with a piece of paper which she handed to her dad the moment he walked through the door. "Can you come? Can you come?" The school was asking for parents to talk to students on career day. Eddie said, "Why don't you have Mom come instead?" "Mom does not have a career," was her quick response.

Hey baby, I might not have a career right now, but who wouldn't want to have my life? There's time for reading, writing, running, blogging, and when that gets boring, there are always babies to play with, toilets to clean, laundry to fold, and kids to tuck into bed. Speaking of which, I am being summoned to report to the management upstairs.

8 comments:

Stacy said...

I love this post.

lyn said...

Oh dear...

I'm just now in the throes of transitioning. (I'm technically still under "house arrest".)The time really does go by quickly during the day! But then again, it does go by slowly, too. You're welcome to hold my baby anytime!

smart mama said...

I totally double dog dare you to show up as a "mom" or to show up say your career is living off of someone elses $- LOL

Queen of the Castle said...

I thought about offering my services as a full time day care provider and seeing what my kids' teachers would say. Something tells me they wouldn't go for it. But, I could tell them all about the career I was planning had I not chosen to get married and have a family.

Anonymous said...

Something similar happened in my house last night. One of my boys said "The boss of the house is Dad." I said "What?" He said, "Dad is the President, you are the Vice President."

I couldn't believe that they have that sexist viewpoint of our household. I've always thought of our marriage as a partnership with us having equal say in what goes on. Apparently that is not coming across to my children.

Take care.

krhjohns said...

Not a comment on the post, but on your new banner. Love the cute jogging skirt.

bluestocking mama said...

ha. i remember doing the exact same thing to my mom/dad for a career day at school. now that i think back about it, i wish my mom would have been more vocal about her choices and how she felt about them. i'm sure you have a few choice words with the management about your choices :) great post.

Andrea said...

Well, if you descibe it that way....I just might stay in this position. I do have to say that my current "Boss"-the 15-month-old , is the hardest one I have ever had :).

Really though.... I do remind my kids that mommy did have a career before I stayed home with them, but that it's important to be there for them right now. I like the fact that they know that at-home mommies are important, and that they can earn money, too. It's hard to find a balance-isn't it?