Thursday, March 13, 2008

Take it and Run Thursday: Building Miles and Going Long

On Saturday, I ran 20 miles. Then I came home, took a shower, went grocery shopping, and spent the rest of the day chasing kids and making truffles and frosting 100 cupcakes and outlining a workshop for an event I was in charge of at church on Sunday. A year ago if you had told me that I'd be able to run 20 miles and still go strong for the rest of the day, I would not have believed you. I think that for me, the ability to run long really draws on my motivation, and here are a few things that motivate me:

1) Someone to run with. On Saturday, I was planning to meet a friend at 6:30 for her last training run before her upcoming half-marathon. So I ran six miles before I met her, went with her for a little more than eight, and did the last six by myself. Even though I did twelve miles alone, it was so nice to have someone to talk to during the middle stretch. I probably ran a little slower, but I needed the social interaction more than I needed the speed. I recently joined a local running club, and I really think it's going to help me stay motivated too. Even though I love the mind-cleanse that comes from a solo run, the social butterfly in me also likes to talk when I'm out for two or three hours.

2) Someone to check in with. I'm on a message board for moms, and over the years, a lot of us have become runners. We have a weekly check-in thread, and I have learned so much from my girls over the years. They're the ones who made me believe I could run a marathon in the first place, who cheered me on to continue when Isaac got sick, who told me about training plans (I'm using FIRST to the Finish right now, and it's a fantastic challenge-- I love it!), who remind me to buy new running shoes when it's been a long time, who listen to me when I whine, and who make me feel good about myself. I couldn't do it without them. Let's face it-- going long takes a lot out of you, and it's great to have friends to check in with at the end to fill you up again.

3) Someone to run for. For as long as I can remember, my mom has been lacing up her sneakers and walking every day. Her current workout schedule (3+ hours at the gym, 6 days a week) makes my marathon training look wimpy in comparison. While I'm not advocating her extremism (yes, Mom, if you're reading this, you're way crazier than I am). But now that I'm a mom myself, I recognize that her example of physical fitness set a great example for me. I hope that I'm perpetuating the healthy lifestyle cycle for my own kids. Eddie, who always seemed somewhat indifferent to my obsession, has gotten really supportive of my running in the last year (and even running a bit himself!). So even though it seems sort of paradoxical on the surface, it's getting away from my family and getting in a good run that enables me to come back recharged and also set a good example for them.

It may seem kind of ironic, but I really do think that in this most solitary of sports, it's the relationships forged through and strengthened by running that keep me going the long miles.

8 comments:

Midwest said...

I really do think that running, and fitness in general, are great examples for our kids to follow. It makes me so proud when my son says he wants to "run like Mommy." Great post!

Anonymous said...

ONe of the reasons I started running was just to keep up with my son in the first place. I didn't want to be the out of shape. "mommy can't play right now" type of parent.

I did the same thing with my 20 miles. Company helps for sure. :)

smart mama said...

I wish i could run- my bad knees curse me - well I guess its better than knee replacements-- but i am jealous your running seems fun and you nake it exciting you motivate other too WTG

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

What a great post!

I particularly appreciate what you point out about the solitude of the activity of running but at the same time the relationships.

Good luck as you continue your training for your marathon. We're excited for you.

Gabriela said...

Thanks for this post-I need to kick it up a notch and start doing my long runs. I always seem to find an excuse as to why I can't do it "today"

It's funny that both our moms are our inspiration-and that they are both crazier than us! My mom still does marathons and is at the gym more in one day that I am all week!

Company EIGHT said...

You always inspire me Shelah--one day I WILL be a runner!

Bob A said...

I'm running with a training group at the local Y in preparation for the Richmond 10K. Though my training plan calls for longer runs than the group is running, I use your trick -- run some before and after the group run and then enjoy the social interaction in the middle.

Lei said...

The MOFs are the best at encouraging and motivating... I have to admit that although I said to you guys that I hate running, I am considering a race this summer!