Tuesday, March 11, 2008

So what does a runner look like, anyway?

Yesterday, I was talking with a lady who made a comment that I've been thinking about ever since. She said, "I could never be a runner. I have chubby legs. You have such a runner's body." Before I had the chance to set her straight, my other line rang in and I had to cut our conversation short.

Over the last six months, I've had several people comment on my "runner's body" and it makes me uncomfortable every time, even though I know they mean it as a compliment. I've been a runner for at least six years, and for most of that time, I don't think anyone would look at me and immediately assume I was a runner. But that didn't make me any less of one.

In the beginning, I wore baggy t-shirts to hide my mommy tummy, and hoped that running would help me get rid of it. Although I was happy to be able to run throughout my pregnancy, it's an understatement to say that I was in no shape to parade my bare midriff on the cover of Runner's World just a few months postpartum like Paula Radcliffe. For at least five years, looking like a runner was not a priority for me, but running was.

Last year, I got serious about losing weight, amped up the training, and voila, I lost my boobs and found some definition in my midsection. But now I worry a little bit about giving advice to my fellow running sisters. I know that I, as the unconfident beginning runner with the spare tire around my waist, might have felt like advice from a girl who "looked like a runner" certainly couldn't apply to me.

I will say this. I'm training for the Wasatch Back race with eleven of my favorite sisters-in-running. We're all different shapes and sizes, all run at different speeds, all have good runs and bad runs, all have to convince ourselves to get out and hit the pavement some days. And we all look like runners who can be proud of the steps we take each day.

7 comments:

Lucy said...

Interesting. Because I often say, "I could never be a runner. I'm too big." I still think that's true, but concede your better defended point:)

My husband is doing the Wasatch Back. It sounds pretty cool! Maybe I'll see you there at the finish line!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

It was much easier for me to run efficiently pre-puberty, though. No hips and no breasts meant faster mile times. And nothing was bouncing.

Sheree said...

I love it! You are such an inspiration to me. I can't wait for the Wasatch Back too. And I can't wait to earn that runner's body!

chloe said...

And I'm chubby and I run...and sometimes I lose some weight, and sometimes I don't. I think the thing I love about running is that it's between me and my body. No one else. And I will be doing Wasatch Back, too. I'm super excited!

Queen of the Castle said...

Jamie, my husband and avid biker, gets comments like "I'm not in shape enough to bike that much" all the time. It leads me to believe that it is mostly an excuse to not exercise. Biking 30 miles a day with the right equipment and the right training, is something that most people can do. I would rather people say that they don't like biking or simply, "I've never tried it and I don't think that I ever will". I think those statements would be more honest.

TJ said...

you should read my friends post about being a runner. on my page, there is a link to adventures of stephanie, and she is a runner too.

Anonymous said...

Great post!(love the comment on loosing your chest :-( relate much, YES!) I find that what we look like is less inportant- to how we feel like when we run! If you feel great- then all else is added bonus!