Friday, March 14, 2008

And this, my friends, is what we call payback time...

Remember how my mom and godmother kept my kids for a week when I went on a cruise a few weeks ago?

Tonight my mom flies into town and she and the kids and I leave really early tomorrow morning to drive to Florida to spend the kids' spring break with my grandpa (my mom's dad). I'm sure it will be fun once I get there, but I'm too deep in packing mode and in the self-defeating thought processes that come with trying to figure out what to put in the car to keep four kids occupied for a ten-hour car trip each way. The car is a crumby mess (what do the kids do in there, have four-course meals on the way to school?) and I can't decide whether to vacuum it all, which I know would please my mom, but c'mon, if they thrash it when our longest ride is ten blocks, what is it going to look like after ten hours?

Can't Eddie go instead? I'd gladly take call for him on Saturday night and go to work every day next week. While I'd fear for his patients, I'd be more afraid about what might happen if he and my mom spent a week in close proximity without me to act as a buffer.

11 comments:

Alissa said...

sniff! and you're not even coming to see me?!

have a great trip!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

I confess we clean the car before and after every big trip. *I* feel better starting out with a clean, vacuumed car.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time!! And you are brave to drive that far with four kids :)

Shelah said...

The car is clean and we're visitng the panhandle, Alissa. We're still about seven hours from you!

Anonymous said...

I'll be there in spirit -- wish I could come too, but I fear there's no room in the van ... Have a great time and be safe. I love you all!

Annie

Gabriela said...

Yeah. I'm not a fan of road trips. Especially without my husband. Have fun!!!

Amber said...

I love road trips- but I hate packing for them. We've got one coming up next weekend- but it involves not only packing clothing, but a 4 tier wedding cake and desserts for 400.... I think I need some prozac.

Sonja said...

Wow, kudos to you for taking 4 kids on such a long drive. Have a fun trip!

Company EIGHT said...

Have a great time...and good luck!

Lucy said...

Man, you are on the go! Have a great time! It seems pointless, but it is nice to start with a clean van. Sort of like how I clean my house when guests come, knowing it'll be dirtier than ever in a few short hours.

Becky said...

I love a good road trip! And yes, you've strangely got to start with a clean car (ours is pathetically trashed by the end of the day). Remember those luxurious cruise days to see you through this all day car drive! Good luck :)