Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ten for ten!

I've blogged every day for the last ten days. I don't think that's happened since, well, ever. I realize that some of my posts haven't exactly been of the highest quality, but that's ok. And since I've been so diligent lately, I think it's time to take a break from it all. So I will. Tomorrow afternoon, Eddie and I will be taking our very first trip since our honeymoon that includes no kids, no medical conferences, and no relatives to visit on the other end. Am I excited? Are you really even asking me that?

It's a lot of work to leave four kids behind for a week. My mom flew in on Thursday, and I handed her a ten-page "bible" of instructions, with details ranging from what each kid eats at each of our town's fast food establishments to which classrooms in the church building they need to get picked up from when Primary ends. When my godmother flew in this afternoon, I sat them both down for an hour and drilled them on how to use each of our three tvs. After they got through the basics, I'd send them out of the room, mess up the tv and satellite, and make them come back and figure out what was wrong. I haven't had so much fun being sadistic since I quit teaching school. I have a feeling that they'll still be hopelessly stymied, but, as my mom said, they can always read books. Maybe this is just what I need to get Isaac to kick his Noggin habit.

I, on the other hand, plan to spend exactly zero of the next 10,080 minutes watching Noggin. I have my bag packed with a couple of bathing suits, my running shoes (yes, I am crazy), seven or eight books, and not much else. It's going to be pure bliss....

Mimi and Grannie, however, are going to be sorely in need of a vacation when we get back. We sent them out for a nice, kid-free dinner tonight, just so they can store up a little bit of peace and energy. They're definitely going to need it.

12 comments:

Courtney said...

Have a great, relaxing, kid-free trip. You deserve it especially after these last four months!

g said...

That sounds wonderful! Have a fantastic trip!

Gabriela said...

Have a great time. I laughing over your 10 page "guide" I did 3 day trip to Houston with Guapo a year and a half a go and I had a similar list for my friend. When you actually sit down and type it out-you realize how much we do as moms!

Alissa said...

have a great time!

you're way nicer than i am, 1. i make my kids eat whatever i want them to eat and 2. i figure they have voices... they can tell gma what they want. plus, abbie & anna both know how to set up the tv, dvd player, and the wii.

Lei said...

Wahoo! Have a blast!

Company EIGHT said...

I am THRILLED for you! Have a fantastic time!!!

Mattsmom said...

Sounds like a dream! ENJOY! February is the perfect month for a vacation too...Just after the Christmas craze has died and before the life of hectic summer begins!

I feel inclined to introduce myself. I feel bad about it now...but I have been lurking for way too long. My name is Joanie and I live over at www.mattsmom79.blogspot.com.

I hope the sun was wonderful!

Blackeyedsue said...

Well, if they can use the tv, everything else will fall into place.


Have fun on your trip!

Rachelle said...

Enjoy your trip!

Nettie said...

Hope you are having fun!

(I still have "the bible" I made for when the baby was born taped to the insides of my kitchen cupboards.)

Lucy said...

I hope you're having fun!

MusicalMom said...

Congratulations on 10 for 10. :) Have a great time! It think it's hilarious that you grilled them so thoroughly. Tee-hee!