Sunday, February 17, 2008

Out of shape!

Athletes often talk about how time away from training always affects performance. While I've known that to be true as a runner, I didn't realize until today that it also applies to the marathon of a Mormon 3-hour block. Since Isaac got sick, he has only been to church once or twice, and hasn't been to either nursery or primary at all. Consequently, either Eddie or I have taken turns staying at home or leaving after the first hour with the two little ones.

Today was the first day of the rest of our lives. I was back in my regular side pew, nonwalking preschooler on one side, running toddler on the other, two (relatively well-behaved, for once) big kids down on the end of the bench. Eddie was up playing the organ and avoiding making eye contact with me. Isaac was nervous. Maren was crazy-- throwing crayons, drawing on the big kids' drawings, tossing her baby over the back of the pew about a million times.

For the next two hours I walked the halls with Maren. We wanted to stay close in case Isaac's Primary teacher needed help (quite the opposite of his preschool teacher, who didn't want him back in class lest she break him, his Primary teacher didn't want us in class, lest we mess up her routine). Sunday is my rest day from running and all things exercise, but I didn't feel like I got much of a break today.

I'm sure that in a few weeks, I'll have my stamina back and will be able to handle three-hour church with four kids without breaking a sweat. After church today, I took a nap for two hours.

4 comments:

lyn said...

Welcome back! I did see Maren with her doll (it looked like Arlynda was given the baby more than once...) - but don't worry one bit!! - we're all glad you guys are back.

Courtney said...

Every time my kids move up to nursery, I go through this! I highly recommend the primary secretary position. Our primary is so big I don't even go in the primary room. I have a table set up in the hall and spend the last two hours of church in the hall. It is really great.

Krisser said...

Amen to the primary secretary calling- I'm loving it with a new baby! Way to flex those spiritual muscles and jump back in- three hours is tough, but especially when you haven't done it for a while!

Rachelle said...

Yay for going back! I'm glad Isaac is doing so much better.