Monday, February 18, 2008

Book #15: The Field Guide (Spiderwick Chronicles)


Title: The Field Guide (Spiderwick Chronicles)
Author: Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi

Mallory, Simon and Jared Grace move from their city apartment to an old house in the country inhabited by fairies.

My kids saw a bunch of previews for The Spiderwick Chronicles movie when they were at the theater over Christmas break. I told them that if they wanted to see the movie, they had to read the book first. So we read the first book in the series, finishing on Wednesday night. It became pretty evident in the waning chapters of the book that the movie would have to include more material than what was written in those 100 pages. I did some research and discovered that the movie is based on all five books in the series. But a promise is a promise, and we went to the movie on Saturday. The material in the first book was covered in about five minutes, and the remaining 92 minutes were a lot scarier than I had anticipated (I was glad I didn't have Isaac with me). Bryce and Annie (when they weren't hiding their eyes) loved the movie, and have been fighting over who gets to read book 2 at bedtime. For me, the first book was enough. It's very cute and magical and all that, but I'd rather read books for grownups.

1 comment:

lyn said...

I have to laugh....we went on Sat night to see the movie. Thomas kept saying "this is scarier than I suspected" and finally, he said "I want to go home"...bummer!