Monday, February 18, 2008

Book #12: Interred With Their Bones


Title: Interred With Their Bones
Author: Jennifer Lee Carrell

Shakespeare scholar and director Kate Stanley finds herself on a hunt for Shakespeare's lost play, Cardenio, and trying to stay alive in the process.

I think I expected too much of Interred With Their Bones. Since it was written by a Harvard scholar and a woman, I expected it to be a thinking woman's version of The DaVinci Code. But better, because it would be about Shakespeare. I loved the subject matter. I loved that a large portion of the book took place in the American Southwest, particularly at the Utah Shakespearean Festival, a place dear to my heart. But maybe my expectations were a little bit too high. Kate was awesome, but she still depended on guys to rescue her. Didn't Dan Brown already take us to the Poet's Corner? And did we ever figure out who Pearl was and how he found Kate in the first place? It's as good a read as DaVinci, but definitely in the same model, which made it feel somewhat less. Others compared it to The Thirteenth Tale, but if you had to read just one, I'd definitely go for The Thirteenth Tale. If you see it on the bargain table at Barnes and Noble and need a quick, interesting read for a vacation, I think it's worth it, but don't expect anything too groundbreaking.

No comments: