Thursday, February 7, 2008

Book #11: Then We Came to the End


Title: Then We Came to the End
Author: Joshua Ferris

Workers at a Chicago ad agency try to keep their jobs through an economic downturn.

This novel made me really, really glad I don't work in an office. Though Ferris did a great job of creating characters, the novel, as a whole, didn't move me. I thought of it as a strange mix of The Office (same zany kinds of office workers, and Tom Mota is a dead-wringer for Dwight Schrute) and Tova Mirvis's wonderful novel The Ladies Auxiliary, in the sense that both use an unidentified first-person plural as the narrator. While I felt like the narrator enhanced the story in The Ladies Auxiliary, it really bugged me in Then We Came to the End. After reading so many really good books in a row, this one was quite a letdown.

No comments: