Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm on a spinner's high

This morning I had a fourteen mile run on the training schedule, and I was just too scared to do it. My knee hasn't been great, and I really don't want to screw it up further. Besides, it's all messy and puddly here after several days of nonstop rain, and I didn't want to sully my brand-new shoes. So I headed to the gym to run a couple of miles to feel out my knee, then take a spinning class.

The first two miles were fast (.75mi at 9mph, followed by .25mi at 10mph, repeated twice). The spin class felt awesome. So I decided to do it again. Another fast mile, followed by another spin class. My knee feels fantastic, and for the first time since the marathon, I've gotten that endorphin rush I crave from exercise. I also feel like my speed is coming back, which really excites me! So Arlynda, I really do think cycling (and cross training in general) combined with the core classes I've been taking, are doing their job to strengthen my knee. When Isaac got sick, I stopped going to the gym at all. I either ran at home on the treadmill or pushing the stroller. I quit all of my cross-training (which had been two spinning classes a week). I quit working on my core (I'd also been taking two core classes a week). I was doing the minimum amount of training possible because the rest of my life was just too complicated. Now that I've been injured and Eddie has had a more flexible schedule, I've incorporated those back into my workouts (especially since the running has sucked) and I think it's going to help me be a better athlete overall.

By next week at this time, I really hope to be hitting the pavement for a good long run. But if I'm still not there yet, I'm so glad to know that the alternative is pretty great too.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I loved spinning after I got over the butt soreness. I need another gym membership...

QueenMeadow said...

I was going to suggest biking, to strengthen the quads and also a good massage from a massage therapist that works with runners.

I'm glad the spinning is helping, that's great!!

Company EIGHT said...

I'm so glad you're doing so well! I love the gym--it's a great motivator for me, and I love the variety.

sheri said...

You're so inspirational! I've been wanting to try a spin class at the gym for over a year now. But I'm too chicken that I'll be dying 1/2 way through and look like a loser.