Thursday, January 24, 2008

Book #6: Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life


Title: Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
Author: Steve Martin

Steve Martin looks back on his childhood and his career as a stand-up comedian, focusing mainly on the 1960s and 1970s.

I like Steve Martin. I mean, who doesn't like Steve Martin. There was a lady in line in front of me at Borders the other day buying this book and gushing enthusiastically to the salesperson about how excited her husband would be to have this book in his hot little hands. I learned a lot about what Disneyland was like in the 1960s (Martin worked there from age 10 to 18), what it takes to perfect a magic act, what it feels like to be a successful stand-up comedian (isolating, apparently), and how a cold and unfriendly father can damage a son's psyche forever. The book was interesting and well-written, but not funny. From a stand-up comedian, I sort of expected a little bit more funny. I'll bet the lady's husband did too.

No comments: